• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyway to wire AV/VRC-12 Antenna for CB Use?

Crapgame

Hello,
I have two antenna mount assy for my 1984 Bombardier Iltis, only one of which is being used to run an AN/VRC-12 Comms System.
I was wondering if I can wire my other antenna to a Cobra 29LTD and adjust the matching unit for CB use to keep the original appearance?

Last edited:

Crapgame

You can always use an antenna tuner.
How would I know what kind of tuner to use? Find out the wattage of the ANVRC12 System? I can process Firemissions while switching freqs back and forth from the RT-524 to the 442 Aux unit, but this tech stuff is above my paygrade.

That Cobra 29LTD Army Strong CB would look good in my Iltis, but with the knobs painted black and maybe remove the logo from the hand mic.

papakb

Using an AS-1729 with CB radios isn't a problem and unless you're running a big amp power. The AS-1729 will handle up to about 100 watts of RF power. What you will need to do is to get yourself an inline power meter that shows both forward and reflected power. With the CB keyed up and transmitting, adjust the frequency selector switch on the antenna base for maximum forward power and minimum reflected power.

Last edited:

ColdWarCanada

AS-1729/VRC antenna MX-6707/VRC and CB

Crapgame:
You can use your CB on the AS-1729/VRC antenna system in your Iltis. Just set the ATU (MX-6707/VRC) to 30-33 MHz range using the knob at the base of the MX-6707/VRC. If you have an inline SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) meter, you will see that will be the lowest SWR. If you wish to get it lower, you will have to adjust the coils/capacitors in the base of the MX-6707/VRC, but this will most likely not be required. Most CB are protected against high SWR and only output 5 watts AM, so they are hard to fry....

This has all been covered in the Iltis Yahoo group, if you do a search........ I think it has also been reviewed on this group as well....... If you do a google search, you will also find information on the adjustment of the MX-6707/VRC.

Cheers!

Crapgame

Thanks, ColdWarCanada, I'll search again on the Bombardier Iltis Group for futher info, get The Skunque talking.

jamieboy

Ditto on Coldwarcanada. CB's operate in the 27 MHZ range. If your antenna is resonant in
the 33-78 MHZ range you will be about 3 MHZ out of tune. Borrow or get a SWR meter and see where you stand on Reflected power. If you are over 2:1 might be worth your time to invest in a small
antenna tuner that will tune in that band. CB's as stated are only 5 watts out , but you are not going to transmit and receive at optimum efficiency. Let us know how it turns out.

Chief_919

The As-3916 fits the same mount as the MX-6707, and while rated for 30-90m,hz it exceeds the spec a bit and my SWR analyzer says the SWR is within specs down to 26mhz, making it plug and play for CB use.

I have a number of them available if anyone needs one.

ve6nd

I know that this is an old thread however you can convert the as-3916/vrc antenna base to cover both 10 and 6 meters (27Mhz to 60Mhz without a tuner). I have done this with several antennas and by cutting the whip length down a bit you have a dual band antenna that also works quite well for receiving higher frequencies. It does take an hour or two to complete the conversion and the hardest part is the soldering of jumpers and disabling part of the circuit. In particular you have to bypass the arrestor in the base of the unit while keeping the threaded portion intact.
You do this by making a brass jumper the top of the arrestor to the bottom and thread the post back in place, this is the banana type jack that the lower part of the base plugs into.
I can help with the conversion of as-3900 bases as well but this takes about the same time or longer and you have a solid 8 foot whip that can take a knock around.[

Glenn....QUOTE=Crapgame;672730]Hello,
I have two antenna mount assy for my 1984 Bombardier Iltis, only one of which is being used to run an AN/VRC-12 Comms System.
I was wondering if I can wire my other antenna to a Cobra 29LTD and adjust the matching unit for CB use to keep the original appearance?[/QUOTE]

miknight

It's all too confusing for me.. I have an AS-3900A/VRC antenna. I need it to work with a CB. Can someone just sell me a CB with any other parts, adjustments, etc, to be able to work with my current antenna? I'm sorry, I have some skills, but none when it comes to this type of project. Need a "turn key" solution and will pay for it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks