• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

April trailrides in North Carolina (Uwharrie OHV)

CGarbee

As some of you might know, I have agreed to host the Southern Power Wagon Spring Gathering this year.

Since my Dodges are all M37 (and varients), and my friends who know the trials better than I all drive M715s (and varients), it will actually be a combined Southern Power Wagon/NCMVPA event.

This year's gathering will be held April 24-27, 2008.

We are going to hold the event in the Uwharrie National Forest (they have a great OHV park) which is located between Asheboro and Charlotte, North Carolina. Since my sister-in-law's parents have property just south of Asheboro and a lot of the side attractions that we will be visiting are located in the Asheboro, you can think of the rally as being "in" Asheboro. :)

Current plans are to trail ride in the park on Friday. Saturday we are thinking about hitting Delk's Surplus, the Warbird Museum, and the Pisgah Covered Bridge. For those who don't get enough of the trails on Friday, we'll also be setup for folks to trailride on Saturday and Sunday. (A big thanks to Tony Casey right now for letting me talk him into being my trailboss...)

Both the NC Zoo and the NC Pottery Center (and a host of individual potteries) are in the area as well...

I'll have more info soon, but wanted to let everybody know the dates now that they are fixed.

bottleworks

Delk's Surplus
I drove by that place a few months ago. I stopped by on my return trip home, but they had closed by then. I couldn't find a web site or any info online. How are their prices? Do they let you walk the yard?

CGarbee

Re: RE: April trailrides in North Carolina (Uwharrie OHV)

bottleworks said:
Delk's Surplus
I drove by that place a few months ago. I stopped by on my return trip home, but they had closed by then. I couldn't find a web site or any info online. How are their prices? Do they let you walk the yard?
I don't think that they have an online presence yet... :(
Prices aren't bad, but I think that the prices for stuff in the back (not in the showroom) are partially dependent on the weather, time of day, and how well they know you... :)

Walking the yard is allowed, but you have to go though the shop and ask first.

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: April trailrides in North Carolina (Uwharrie OHV

Guys, I should have a webpage up tonight with registration information (forms) and hotel info (left that list that Charles sent me at home this morning...).

What I'm currently thinking:

Southern Power Wagon/NCMVPA Rally
Uwharrie National Forest (Baden Lake Group Campsite), North Carolina
April 24-27, 2008

Friday:
Gather at Baden Lake (group campsite) on Friday morning for trailrides. Tony Casey has agreed to lead us around the trails all day starting with some easy trails and working our way up to harder ones. He's got some buddies who regularly ride the trails there so we can split up the group if needed.
Supper night will be on everyone's own. I suspect that a smaller bunch of us who are camping might go in together on something and cook at the campsite, folks who are staying in town (Asheboro or Albemarle) likely will hit a restaurant...

Saturday:
Gather at Baden Lake (group campsite) for more trailrides or for convoy up to Delks' Surplus. Will also have a person located at my sister-in-law's parents' place in Farmer so folks can gather there for a convoy down to Baden Lake (group campsite) for more trailrides. Otherwise, folks can report directly to Delks'.
Group at Delk's will convoy over to the Aviation Museum after lunch for a tour of the facility and some photo's taken with the planes. I'm thinking about making the drive from one to the other a tad longer than a direct route (so that we can enjoy driving around the countryside some) with a stop at the Pisgah Covered Bridge. I'm also planning it so that the folks trailriding in the morning can get up to the Aviation Museum for the afternoon, or folks at Delk's in the morning can go down to trailride...

Saturday night:
Either have a BBQ supper at the Aviation Museum, Farmer sister-in-law's parents' place, resturant in Albermarle, or at the Baden Lake Group Camp...

In between runs to the Aviation Museum, Delk's, Trailrides, and Saturday Supper, we'll have some social time (vehicle displays) at either the campground, the musuem, or at the farm...

Contact info:
Cabell Garbee
7104 Lake Wheeler Road
Raleigh, NC 27603
919-906-6294

cost:
$20 per person. includes trail pass aviation museum entry and Saturday night supper…

Links:
Baden Lake Group Camp (rally site)
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...group_camp.htm

Uwharrie National Forest (place where we are doing the trailrides, Baden Lake is part of this complex)
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...ie/welcome.htm

Info on the trails we will be riding
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...harrie_off.htm
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...forest_off.htm

NC Aviation Museum
www.ncairmuseum.org

Pisgah Covered Bridge
http://www.visitrandolphcounty.com/a...ions.php?id=11

Other things in the area (for folks who need a break):
Town Creek Indian Mound, North Carolina Zoological Park, Reeds Gold Mine, NC Pottery Center and lots of local potteries, ABLinn MV parts, M Series Rebuild), NC Transportation Museum.

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: April trailrides in North Carolina (Uwharrie OHV

Charles at M Series Rebuild sent me a list of a list nicer motels in Albemarle for folks who don't want to camp out at Badin Lake Group Camp.

Sleep Inn, 24-27 Bypass east; Comfort Inn, 24-27 bypass east; Heart of Albemarle, highway 52 business, (down town); Hampton Inn, highway 52 north; Holiday Inn Express, just off 24-27 bypass east on Leonard Ave., (behind Applebee's Restaurant, across from Wal-Mart.)

He also states that there are lots of good restaurants on 24-27 bypass in the same area with the Log Cabin Barbecue on highway 52 north just above the Hampton Inn being a great place to eat & reasonably priced.

All these are within a 30 minute drive of Uwharrie National Park.

CGarbee

Guys, I haven't gotten around to converting the Word files with the documents that I mailed out to the mailing list that was provided to me from Southern Powerwagons, but I have manged to stick the document files on my server (I'll try to get them converted to nice webpages tonight or this weekend...).

The file with the description of the camp, directions to the site (including maps to the site and of the trails) is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/badinlake/Badin Lake Group Camp.doc

The file with information on the rally, what we are doing on a given day, and the registration form, is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/badinlake/Southern Power Wagon.doc

Let me know if you have questions...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks