• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are the BIG resistors needed?

HillBilly

When I got my M1031 home I had the gens tested (cooked), and rebuilt $100 ea.
The batts are fried and at the moment have not the $$ to replace. The resistors wires were cut, im guessing by the NG and what looks like a manual GP switch was rigged to the dash. I put an ohm meter on the GP's they tested fine even look new w/o removing them.
Is there anything else to check B4 I get batts? Also what should the Ohm reading be 4 the resistors? If you all need picks let me know of what and i will post them. Any thoughts on what would cause the failure of the batts and gens?

Thx! H.B.

m38inmaine

The resistors are only used for dropping the voltage from 28v to 12v to the glow plug relay. Sounds like they had a glow plug controller problem and bypassed it with a manual switch. The batteries could have been ruined by poorly charging alternators. The electrical system looks complicated on these but once you understand it not that bad.

acetomatoco

Just get a couple of the 39$ wal mart batteries to use until you are sure the charging system is ok.... They have a one year drop dead guarantee...

acetomatoco

Does your 1031 have the two 100 amp 12 V Delcos or as some of them did, I believe have the M1010 set up with the blue box of death and the two 100 amp Leece Nevilles of 28V.?? About the only cure for for the latter is to take one alt out of the system along with the blue box and rotate your batteries front to rear each six months or so... Or just put a M1008 system in. Lotsa M1010s just burned to the ground while sitting in the motor pools...

HillBilly

The alts have 100 A stamped on the casing as far as blue box havn't seen 1. The M1031 has a 45 Amp PTO driven 3 phase gen that supplies the power for the air compressor and recepticles. Why would they put the larger gens on? Its not supplying power for xtra equip. like A.C. and med equip such as th 1010. Back to the blue box, is that an inverter for using AC equip?

Attachments

ida34

The box is for the ambulances. They have AC so they have a 28 volt alt instead of two 14 volt alts to make room for the AC compressor. I can't remember if the box is a 24 volt to 12 volt converter or a battery isolator to keep the batteries in balance. The large 14 volt alts were required by the military when they submitted specifications. Many had radios and they draw a lot of power.

HillBilly

If I were to use the cheap wally world batts. What cca should I get? I was lookin at them the other day and the biggest ones they have are around 1000 cca, but they are $75 each. It doesn't get below 0 to often here, but sometimes it is in the single digits.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thx! H.B.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks