• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arizona requirements for WMO

man2112

Hello,
I have been reading recently about different states requiring fuel blending license in order to burn WMO in a deuce. I haven't, however, been able to find anything about AZ requiring such license. With that said, does anyone know if there is some sort of license or permit required to burn WMO (or ANY mix like ATF or biodisel, etc.) in vehicles in AZ? Thank you!

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that some states, AK is one, require that if you use untaxed fuel you report the amount you use and pay them the few cents per gallon road tax. I am just getting my filter setup ready to go. I will be running a WMO mix within the next couple of weeks and I will be carrying my reporting form, showing that I pay the tax. The tax guys are the worst..... My next concern is the EPA types that have rules about how much oil you can collect, transport, store, etc. without buying licenses and keeping records showing what kind of oil, where did it come from, can you certify that it had no solvents, heavy metals, etc. in it. A car repair shop in my town got fined six figures for burning oil in a waste oil furnace that he had not done the paperwork on to prove it had no prohibited contaminants! You do not want to be tagged as a "hazardous waste generator" and fined accordingly. Don't take anyones word for it, just google your state and federal rules and laws.

panshark

easiest way for me to get the answer for my state was to call the Tax department up and ask them. They didn't want to know my name and home address, they were interested in giving an honest taxpayer the information needed to pay road tax.:tin hat:

hedgehog69

Don't know about AZ, but will offer info on the Iowa way to do it.
Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes
Iowa is quite easy...and you are required to report and pay monthly....12 months a year. If you have no usage to report, you simply enter a zero. Very simple here...very quick...and well worth the minimal effort it requires. If I remember correctly, the first offense for failing to report in a timely manner is $100...and it says fines rise with each infraction. It is far better than having the tax man chase you down for $15-20 a month!!!!!!!!!!!

panshark

I The tax guys are the worst..... My next concern is the EPA types that have rules about how much oil you can collect, transport, store, etc. without buying licenses and keeping records showing what kind of oil, where did it come from, can you certify that it had no solvents, heavy metals, etc. in it. A car repair shop in my town got fined six figures for burning oil in a waste oil furnace that he had not done the paperwork on to prove it had no prohibited contaminants! You do not want to be tagged as a "hazardous waste generator" and fined accordingly. Don't take anyones word for it, just google your state and federal rules and laws.
When I read up on EPA regs for blending diesel with WMO, I understood it to read that once it is blended (mixture portions were not specified) with diesel fuel it is then considered diesel fuel, and is no longer HazMat. Of course, that loophole may not have applied to the forementioned garage, due to the absence of blending. There were, however, important limits specified regarding how much can be transported without needing licensure (on a nationwide basis. Local laws ma be stricter.)

man2112

okay, well what if you don't file taxes? I just turned 18, and I don't have a job (going to school) so I don't have to file any taxes. how do you report it then?

panshark

The principles that are the theme of the thread, if I'm not mistaken, is if you are required to pay taxes on your WMO, and how you pay those taxes. While it is true that many pay those taxes at the time of their annual filing, others have to pay monthly.

Normal people pay their road taxes on fuel at the gas station at the time of purchase. No need to file anything; it's automatically taken care of, just like sales tax. In other words, it is the seller's responsibility to file and forward your tax payment on to the government.

If you are planning on using WMO in an on-road vehicle, pertinent issues to discuss with your tax authority are: What is the source of your waste oil? has tax been paid previously on it? (sales tax on the purchase of "new" motor oil) Have you ever purchased your fuel, or is it being donated to you? What is the proportion of WMO that you plan to use with relation to regularly taxed, right-out-the-pump fuel?

When I phoned my state to set things straight ahead of time, there was confusion on the part of the rep if I was using a small amount of used oil, such as the amounts of off-the-shelf fuel additives, or a more significant portion. I believe their reasoning was that additives such as STP, Lucasoil, 9-1-1 etc haven't been assessed road tax due to firstly their prohibitive cost, and secondly their intended purpose. You may avoid road tax by filling up on pure STP, but you will be paying a bunch of money in your product purchase to avoid road tax, and will still end up paying sales tax.

You're doing the right thing by clarifying your responsibilities. If you get an answer from your taxing authority and EPA that you feel provides you sufficient protection against fines and fees, get the source (tax code, law etc) printed out and keep it with your on-road vehicle. Being able to show a policing authority written justification for your actions may mean the difference between getting a hefty ticket if you get your tank dipped. If it's written down and shared with them in a respectful manner, you won't appear to be a teenager caught with his pants down who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

Good luck in your efforts, and for the sake of other enthusiasts in your state, please report your findings back to this thread!:beer:

Last edited:

panshark

maybe start here for EPA clarification on the federal level: Laws and Regulations for Used Oil | Common Wastes & Materials | US EPA
then try this link for the phone # to the state EPA boys, to make sure AZ doesn't have stricter laws: Arizona | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency

calling up the DOT and the department of revenue are great ideas. Also, don't be afraid to contact a local accountant and seek professional advice. If you mess something up and end up with a court date, being able to show your intent to be compliant with laws may save your bacon.

Darwin T

Word of advise, NEVER call it WASTE oil, it is always USED oil.
HUGE difference in some cases!
i would call it "Recycled Motor Oil".

"Waste" is trash or of no use "Hazardous". first thing they will tihink of. :shock:

"Used" is what is drained out of their car and not that bad. because they produce that and they don't produce "Hazardous Waste". first thing they will think of. :)

"Recycled" this guy is enviromentally friendly, he recycles. first thing they will think of. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks