• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armed Forces Week in Petoskey Michigan

citizensoldier

May 28th to June 1st at the Emmet County Fairgrounds http://www.emmet.mi.us/parkrec/default.htm

The event coordinator has stated he will accomadate any and all things military. Opening ceremony will be Wednesday night. They will have WWII veteran speekers, Parade of Flags, Vietnam traveling wall, Michigan Remembrance wall, and expect to have 500 to 600 kids from area schools attend on Thursday and Friday.

The main event is Saturday the 31st at 1pm. This is when the speakers will give their talks and also the Petoskey high school steel drum band will play.

They expect to have assorted military and community displays and between myself and a couple others, we should have about 8 trucks out for show.
We hope more are able to attend.

I inquired about specific times and details, so as they come to me, I will post them.

This is a great outlet for military organizations b/c as I was told, if this event is a success, there may be opportunity for this to become a yearly event where a swap meet could possibly be included.

If you guys want to contact the event coordinator his name is Jim Alton, jalton@co.emmet.mi.us or call @ 231-348-1780.

more

Attachments

citizensoldier

Hey Dave! Maybe you can make it next time? probably in two years but nothing definate. The vets really enjoyed the trucks . We put signs on them showing they were privately owned and many people were shocked. It was a good 4 days and TOM Motorpool made a good showing for the GLMVPA..
I drove Dave P's M819 home for him.. What a beast! It was fun to drive a 5 ton that will go over 70MPH.. 5th gear and those tires will make you pucker.... I liked 4th gear and about 1900 RPM's .. That was fast enough for me and much easier to keep between the lines. I told Dave that you dont dare check out a good looking woman or you will end up in the ditch..LOL He just smiled and stated "she can be a hand full.."

Rattlehead

citizensoldier said:
Hey Dave! Maybe you can make it next time? probably in two years but nothing definate. The vets really enjoyed the trucks . We put signs on them showing they were privately owned and many people were shocked. It was a good 4 days and TOM Motorpool made a good showing for the GLMVPA..
I drove Dave P's M819 home for him.. What a beast! It was fun to drive a 5 ton that will go over 70MPH.. 5th gear and those tires will make you pucker.... I liked 4th gear and about 1900 RPM's .. That was fast enough for me and much easier to keep between the lines. I told Dave that you dont dare check out a good looking woman or you will end up in the ditch..LOL He just smiled and stated "she can be a hand full.."

It would have been about $300 in diesel and probably a 5 hour drive each way. Gotta pick my shows wisely this year!

I have been thinking of some sort of signage that tells the public they are privately owned vehicles. I drove in a Memorial Day parade and felt guilty when someone would say thank you when I never served, even wearing civvy clothes. You would think the MVPA would sell something like this, they sell Convoy signs. Maybe we should get some magnetic door signs for the GLMVPA?

I bet that 819 is a beast with the 16's! Even the 932 with the 14's seems kinda "darty" with minimal input to the wheel. Don't know if its just sensitive steering, tires, a combo of both, or me just being used to driving a deuce and a 92 Buick. :lol:

I did see the other post as well.

11ACR-LT

Good showing Guys, Thanks for the pics and for representing GLMVPA. I'm with Rattlehead, have to pick shows that are close to home so I don't go broke feeding MVs