• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armored Lights Bulb Problem?

Gypsyman

Since I have the reverse light switch mounts done I've been trying to decide on reverse lights for my rig. I really liked the look of the armored lights with clears lenses on the rear of the Deuce so I went ahead and ordered a pair. Something that I found during my search is concerning though. I ran across a LOT of armored lights with perfect outer protective lenses and broken inner bulbs. This was on both NOS and used lights.

Sure enough, my two NOS armored lights show up and one of the inner bulbs is broken. Zero signs of damage to the lights. They barely even show handling marks so they are as close to new as one can get.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with this particular light style/design? I just can't wrap my brain around how the inner bulbs can be breaking with no damage to the outer protective lens. Could it be a design flaw and maybe the lenses touch causing a pressure point? I don't see it being heat buildup caused by the outer lens because many of the broken ones are brand new like the ones that I received.

Thoughts?

IMG_7659.JPG

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably some mook running the lamp retainer screws down too tightly. A hot day, the lamp expands, then cracks.

Don't forget those have two filaments, low & high beam. It picks up a ground thru the mounting bolt.

DG

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On most trucks, pin "K" on the trailer receptical is hot +24.

You can pull that wire out of the loom in the cab, and switch it there. Tap into it at the rear for your light.

Gypsyman

There's definitely a minor design issue with these particular lights. As you can see below the glass sealed beam lamp only makes contact at 4 small locations with the housing. My guess is that these small contact points cause stress risers in the glass bulb until you end up with what I have. A break that is clearly from contact point to contact point. All of the lights that I ran across with broken bulbs had this odd angled break. Now I see why. It also explains why you rarely see a fractured protective out lens. The out lens has 360° mounting surface support front and rear.

I'll be applying some thin adhesive backed felt or foam to these mounting surfaces in the hope of reducing the pressure points to some degree.

Now to track down some replacement GE 4811 bulbs.

IMG_7661 - Copy.JPG IMG_7664 - Copy.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks