• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Bob is dead - Temporarily

The Gimlis

Well, you won't be seeing Army Bob out and about this summer.
It apparently was more than an IP...multi fuel is down and soon going to be out.

Okay - I've searched and searched and everyone talks about the 6V92 Detroit being put into the Deuces. I cannot find who actually has done so.

We have access to a wonderfully running 6V92, complete with an Allison Auto tranny. It just needs to be removed from it's current vehicle and put into the Deuce.

We have a couple of diesel mechanics ready to help us but they have never done such a thing. Is there anyone out there that can give us any pointers otherwise?

(PLEASE! I know there are other options for motors! I know that, please do not reiterate that fact. We have the 6V92 and we have no extra money to get anything else. That pretty much means this 6V92 will probably end up in Army Bob.:?)

As some of you know, Mr. Gimli loves a challenge. This motor swap, difficult tho it may turn out to be, is right up his alley. If no one has done this swap before, well, I'll take good pictures and we'll see happens.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
will be transfer case problems, along with front drive line and winch drive

but anything can be done with thought, time and money

are you talking about a 6V92 or a 6V53, not heard of a 92 in a deuce, the 53 is a repower the the Israelis did, thay used the standard trans with a standard sae bellhouseing, you could do this even if you are useing a 92

Last edited:

The Gimlis

We love the multi-fuel but the 150hp is just not doing what we want. 35 mph up a hill on a busy two lane highway has gotten old. The 6V92 we have is 350 hp. That should help.

Mr. Gimli says we are thinking of keeping the Allison, so all we would have to do is match up the jack shaft to the transfer box. We have already thought about moving the motor farther forward than the multifuel, to give the longer tranny more room. Modifying sheet metal (i.e. hood extension, whatever) is not an issue.

Mr. Gimli says - and I quote - "what? This is a major project??! No worse than building the motorhome onto Bob..." I couldn't hold him back from this project if I tied him to dead Army Bob.

big block 88

I'm with you mam, those old detroits are hard to beat. I love power so I say supercharge amd turbo it and make some real power , should be able to supply enough air to prevent any excessive smoke.

I will be curious to see what yall come up with

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what happened to your current engine? Is it not repairable or you just figure it's a good time for a swap? Just curious, either way I look forward to your write up of an engine swap. If it's half as detailed as your write up of the RV build it'll be a good read. Good luck!

mightymanx

Personaly I would stick with the manual.

Upping the horsepower to get more giddaup is always good in my book.

taking away one of the big ticked woooah is not to my liking.

I like to use the engine braking ability that manuals have. makes the brakes happy on things like the grapevine,Donner pass, happy jack, you get my point.

And it simplifies your swap and gets you back on the road much faster.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As far as engine braking loss due to the loss of 5 speed, most big autos use a retarder, these work GREAT, sure worked on the 915 that I drove, I would be more worried about the front drive line clearance and pto placement along with shaft routing for the winch

I think if it was me, I would stay with the 5 speed, a lot less problems, like trans cooling, clearance of front drive, winch drive lines, moving back the xcase ( this would make a very long front drive shaft), not having to mave the motor that far forward, ect.

eldgenb

If you stick with a 5 speed though I would not trust it to hold up to 300+ hp, I think the auto is the way to go, especially since the detroits only have two throttle position off and wide open the auto would make good use of the power ban. I don't think that what you are doing is that much of a chore at all, you may have to shorten your rear driveshaft and relocate the transfercase rearward a few inches(worst case scenario) but even at that it is not that bad. I look forward to seeing this thread progress, I think its a easily achievable goal. Good luck!

The Gimlis

taking away one of the big ticked woooah is not to my liking.

QUOTE]

Umm, that's sounds kinda rude....

Anyway, due to money (mostly) and time, we probably won't start until this fall. Mr. Gimli is very excited. Unfortunately, there goes the kitchen remodel....:lol:. I'd rather be out in the middle of nowhere camping than stuck in the kitchen anyway.....

I'll keep you all posted on progress. Thanks!

area52

detroit

If you look up a member on here by the name of JDToumanian ( I think thats how its spelled), he put a Detroit in a M52 tractor which has the same front sheet metal as your deuce. Not sure which Detroit it was, but he might have some tips for you.

Flat Black

You guys must not get out much,..... no problems at all with a manual trans holding 300hp, a little NV4500 from a Dodge pickup will do that... If you fix the fifth gear nut and put a beefier clutch in, they will hold 500-600hp.

Popular applications of a 6v92 show 253hp and 775 TQ up to 335HP and 1020 TQ, any of which are much improved over the dog turd that was in there before.

However with a NINE LITER motor that is in the 1800 pound range, I think I might find something else, even though you said you were not interested in doing so, especially due to funding issues. I could be wrong (never swapped a Detroit into anything) but I think you are in for a big headache.

PS: buy lots of ear plugs and good ones too.

Last edited:

The Gimlis

Thanks Flat Black, but why do you think it will be a headache? What's that old saying? If it has t**s or wheels your are going to have problems...

We made a muffler for Army Bob for the multi fuel - works beautiful. Not too sure that the 6V92 can be much louder thatn an un-muffled multi fuel. We will make a muffler for this motor too anyway.

We are not sure what went wrong with the multifuel but after clunks, bangs, and other metal rendering noises and other signs of engine death, we will have to pull it no matter what. That makes the perfect time to upgrade.

It's not that we are not interested in some other motor; it is purely financial. I hate having to be practical, but when you have a good motor right in front of you, why spend $$$ I really don't want to and cant let go of....I know alot of you out there can agree.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Your truck, your money, your time, you do what you guys think best, what ever you do, you know that you find all the support here on SS that you will need, GOOD luck on your project

One of the many good things about DDs is that there are MILLIONS of DDs out there, so finding parts will be a LOT easier then for the multi., almost any truck shop should be DD friendly

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

I'm in. I can't wait to see Army Bob running with an old Detroit. That will be awesome. Good luck on your build, and do what you want with the tranny. Autos can be nice for the right thing, and you've spent enough time with the manual to know what you want.

Post lots of pictures, and take good notes...