• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Grease Monkey (new here)

Slimjim34655

I am serving in the US army, and am currently deployed to Afghanistan.I am a 15B (helicopter power turbine engine mechanic), with abackground in fabrication before the army, and a penchant for modifyinganything mechanical that I sit next to for too long (and I married aphysicist/mechanical engineer).
I am interested in buying my first wheeled armored vehicle when Ireturn. Since this will be my first, I am looking for some advice onwhat would be good to start with. I would prefer only 4 wheel to keep the maintenance simple, I like the Ferret a lot, but I am open to any suggestions.
The good news is that my Wife is supporting mein this, and rather likes the idea (she suggested a tank in allseriousness just to keep me from buying more firearms). The bad news isthat while I am over here, I don't have much time to do research.

:-?Nowhere's your excuse to hate me: historical accuracy is not my primaryconcern, I am not a stickler for every fire extinguisher and everyshovel being included; for example, I am looking into weather there isan easy(ish) engine swap for the Ferret to increase its speed/power, as well as a brake upgrade.
My main concern is functionality, which is why I admire these vehiclesas much as I do. I am also amazed at how easily these vehicles areupgraded to fit in among vehicles less than half their age. I alsodon't mind a fixer-upper that isn't too far gone, if the price is right.

Is there any place that any one can recommend in the USA to do businesswith? Are there any tank bone yards like they have for the aircraft? Most of the places I've found are in the UK.

:grin:Thank you very much for your help (and for even reading all of this),

SPC Davis, Nathan
Dco 4/101 TF Wings

m.walker

Thanks for serving Nathan , my son will be going over there too serving as an airborne mechanic . If you buy something , fix it how you want it . There are the peacekeepers and V100's also . I believe the V100's are kind of pricey though . The peacekeeper was like an armored dodge ram or something similar . Keep us posted on what you do , be careful over there and make it home safe , Mark

wb1895

Davis,

I am stationed in Iraq right now. I just purchased my first MV a few days agao grom GL. It really wasnt that hard to come up with the required paperwork and I hope to be picking my deuce wen I get home on leave in August. I dont know much about the Ferret but I would recomend looking through the classifieds on this site and looking on GL. This is a great site and an outstanding group of guys who will help in any way possible. Best of luck finding what you want and keep your head down.

Cpl. W. Blower
Aco 1-252 CAB
11B

papercu

Welcome and Thanks for serving!!
You want a "4 wheeled armored vehicle" and "I am open to any suggestions" you would like "speed/power" and "My main concern is functionality".
Be carefull of what you wish for, this has everything you need plus if you are lucky you might be able to start shipping spare parts home. Wayne
JCB Unveils 60 MPH “World’s Fastest Backhoe Loader†to Assist U.S. Army « Nevada School of Construction
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYYXayhxHE&feature=PlayList&p=952D45AAD929E189&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks