• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Railroad Crane

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't this be neat for a museum somewhere? Too bad this 240,000 lb beauty soon will have a date with a torch, but it could still be yours . . .

Attachments

Coal Cracker

Wow that's a real shame, it would have to be trucked out, as it lookd to still have friction journal bearings,and cannot be iterchanged onto any railroad. You need updated roller bearings to be able to move rail equipment now.

I'm crying:sad:

jpcj-7

our property has about 6000' of Railroad track running along side it.......... How much would it cost to add a siding???????? More than I can afford I'm sure!:cry:

rideni

eh, you can move friction bearing equipment on railroads, if you know the right people
and a decent size siding could be upward of half a million dollars or more if it is a class 1 railroad

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, knowing nothing about railroads except what the local hobby shop has, and obviously roller bearing are better, but why can't friction bearings be used, fire?
Also, is the 240K the weight of the crane, or the lifting capacity of the crane?
One more, what's the difference in railroad classes?

Coal Cracker

Okay, knowing nothing about railroads except what the local hobby shop has, and obviously roller bearing are better, but why can't friction bearings be used, fire?
Also, is the 240K the weight of the crane, or the lifting capacity of the crane?
One more, what's the difference in railroad classes?
Precisely, friction bearings rely on a half bronze babbit that sits in the journal box, with the wheelshaft riding direcly on it, in the old days if the journal box ran out of oil the friction would heat the box up soo fast that it would ignite the wadding material and residual oil.

I couldnt quite see the lift specs on that , can't see the boom, but would suspect 240k.

Railroads classes are just a designation, such as your bigger railroads , such as Union Pacific, CSX , Norfolk Southern.

Class 2's wouild be regional rr's , for example, my area is the Reading And Northern, Lycoming Valley,

3's would be really small switching operation.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
eh, you can move friction bearing equipment on railroads, if you know the right people
and a decent size siding could be upward of half a million dollars or more if it is a class 1 railroad
I agree. I've seen them moving old cars a lot older than this on the rail lately. The railroad can be hard to deal with though.

Highwayman87

One way you could move it is take it apart and move out the sections on a lowboy or a step deck flat bed. The rest could be moved on a regular flat rail car. Red Streak rail can move this on the rail system. At any rate it's going to be expensive either by truck or train:cry:

bigelk50

You guys ever heard od Rick Franklin Corp. He is a big railroad salvage guy. He has LOTS of new locomotives and about everything else you can think of. If he knew where this was I think he could be interested. He is located in Lebanon, Or 97333

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks