• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Housing Gasket

USMC6062

Has anyone ever bought the gasket that goes in between the chunk and the housing on 5 Ton axles, if so where did you get it and how much was it?. The part number out of the TM is 7346814. If it wasn't a holiday I could call around now and find out myself. Thanks

grounded

Banned
you can get them from memphis and boyce. they are a THIN paper gasket. dont waste your time with it. just go get some RTV and be done with it ;) use it on all mine. $3 tube at advanced goes along ways ;)

USMC6062

I knew I was gonna get the "just use RTV", which is what I originaly planned on until I realized they used gaskets. I already looked up the gasket specs, and it is 1/32" thick. I know it isn't much, but it does have to have some affect on alignment of the axles in relation to the housing, especially on the front where there is a seal involved near the chunk. I'm scared to even ask Memphis, I'm sure they have it, but will want a fortune for it, and it's probably something they reproduce, not a military part. Worst case I will just buy some gasket material and make one. One reason I would like to keep the gasket, is it would be easier during assembly. It's not like you can apply the RTV then just pick the chunk up and put it in place, I have to pick it up and move it with my tractor. So, I'm thinking it would turn into a mess trying to use RTV.

brianrbull

I worked in a Heavy truck driveline shop for 6 years and we NEVER used a gasket, Even on the Mac style Diffs (same as Military Top Drop In) That being said , I would use the RTV .

grounded

Banned
you would be suprised at how many places use RTV. but its your truck and the gaskets are alot cheaper then shipping its just what ever you feel best with. for me its just easier and simpler. i put the chunk partly in then apply the RTV then sit it down the last couple inches. no mess. sinch it down and go on your way..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks