• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle u-joint

Hasdrubal

Went to do the yearly lube of my axle u-joints and steering zerks. On drivers side I could not get one of the axle u-joint seals to purge. Tried rotating the seal, went out and drove in 4WD, turning lock to lock, but still no luck. Any ideas?

cucvrus

They make a hammer tool that forces the zerk open and forces the fitting to take grease. I have seen them. I do not have one yet. i just bought a Milwaukee 18 volt cordless grease gun for doing the back hoe. My arm gets tired. It does a great job and seems to grease it better then the hand gun. I mean it pushes hard and pressed out a lot of dirt on the JD 710C. At least that is my experience. Maybe it is the ease of the job that makes it more desirable to do more often.

Hasdrubal

Perhaps I wasn't clear. There is nothing wrong with the zerk, grease purges from 3 of 4 seals, I pumped a lot thru. Its one trunnion that doesn't purge.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I wasn't clear. There is nothing wrong with the zerk, grease purges from 3 of 4 seals, I pumped a lot thru. Its one trunnion that doesn't purge.
You just have caked up grease crud blocking grease from getting to that area.
Does it to our tractors and implements all the time.
Even greasing every time the equipment moves will
not prevent it.

Run it til it's hot and try again.
If that doest work, taking out the zert and using a small but stiff piece of safety wire and try to break up the crud will work.
Sometimes the heat and wire trick still won't work. High pressure grease guns won't either.
Then you just run it as is til replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks