• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Vents: Clean? Replace? Relocate? OTHER Vents?

number9

Hmmm. This is a great idea. I will have to add this to my list of TO-DO when I get my Deuce home.

So, the tubing of choice is poly, plastic type tubing instead of rubber tubing? Why's that? And you guys route them into the air filter? Why not between the cab & bed for the rear axles, T-case and tranny and engine compartment for the front axle - that would be a shorter run and if you have your Deuce in water deep enough to reach them there you've probably got more worries that your vent tubes.

Wolf.Dose

Its me again
Ventilation of all systems should be the way of its needs! Most of the original systems are not made for the distences we rum the trucks. So oil in the trans or transfer gets hoter than specified by the Army, so ventilation requirements are highter for our use than at the Army. This simply means that our breathing hoses should be of a bigger diameter than the Army stuff to allow the oil in the breathing air to condence and rum back to the origine someway.
Bacically it does not matter weather you route the breathing system the the air filter / air intake or not (except for mudding / deep ording purposes). The problem in most of the cases is not to get the overpressure out, it is the problem to get environmentally pressure back in, means propper ventilation due to oil clouged lines. After some times the clogged oil in the breather lines will producde dripping tans or/and tranfers due to built up overpressure inside them(They are clogged with oil if less than 1/4 inch diameter).
I'm experimenting with my M715 since years to solve this problem and step by step I'm getting closer to reduce the drips!
Wolf

Keith_J

There is no need to go larger than 1/4" in tube. Polyethylene is more than adequate because it has good resistance to oil, good flexibility and it is translucent so any problems can be seen.

Unless you have water in your gear cases, there is not much volume displaced. And MANY M35s were run HARD in the Army. I know my old B14 did MANY miles at nearly 70 MPH ;-). Somehow it had an IP with just a bit more fueling than standard. Never threw a rod, never had issues. Yes, it was a whistler but I don't remember much more.

The old M51 dump trucks we had were run the same way, many were retired due to frame cracking. We couldn't drive them to DOL, they had to be flat-bed hauled across post.

jesusgatos

The thing I'm concerned about is the long horizontal stretches along the frame. I want to be able to pressurize the axles/transmission/transfercase using the vent lines, so I was thinking about installing some type of Y-valves / ball-valves that I could open (to atmosphere) to blow-out the lines.

airmech3839

I too have a transfer case leaking and tried cleaning vent.....then it started again......disassembled as stated above and recrimped...now it went away for a day then started again...and I have thrown my hands up!!!:evil:

I too am looking for a new solution and appreciate this thread!!

number9

Finally got around to doing this mod to my truck. Used the info in this thread to install 1/8" NTP x 5/16" nipples in place of the stock vents. Ran 5/16" fuel line up over top of the axle and up to a "T" fitting then out to a small fuel filter with a small length of hose turned down to keep water from spraying up into the hose when I wash the truck.

I found a piece of scrap metal laying on the ground where I was working and drilled a 3/8" hole and bent it to hold the fuel line. I installed it under one of the bolts that holds the inspection cover on the top of the axle. Did this to keep the fuel line away from the drive shaft.

All 3 axles made a pshhh noise when I took the vents out. vacuum.

Attachments

HDN

I think I figured out why my middle axle's seals are leaking:

20230605_134348.jpg

This little guy is seized shut! Just as I removed it from its hole a second-long puff of air came out of the axle tube! It's held pressure this entire time! I think it's time to get a new vent.

EDIT: I just freed up the top half by twisting on it with channel lock pliers. I spun it all around and banged rust out of it and now it's springy again! Though I'm not sure how much to trust it... It's probably worth getting the ~$10 part to avoid this happening again soon. By the way - my vents take a 7/16" wrench to remove.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks