• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axles and Transfercases...New guy here!

upstateny918

New guy here, If I'm in the wrong area or didnt take proper protocol, please let me know.

I recently picked up a small Log skidder that someone has put 2 rear axles out of a '52-54 duece in. They used both rear axle as a front and rear as the machine is center articulate. They also used what appears to be the duece transfercase to drive these axles, behind a 202V transmission and a 302 inline 6.

My question is, after first stating that I understand why GMC used the transfercase they did and what happens if you dont use it with the original front axle. Being that these are both rear axles, Do I need to use the GMC transfercase or could I put a more user friendly case out of another skidder in place of it and not have issues?

My biggest problem right now is that I need the lowest yoke on the rear output side of the transfercase and I havent been able to find one. They also used the carrier off the first rear end as the carrier in the machine!

Thanks in advance

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not quite sure of what your asking, but I do know the m211 or m135 transfer cases have a reverse rotation front output. If they did not use the front axle, you should be ok using another.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surely Sam Winer Motors 330-628-4881 has that flange. Rotating the rear axle so the pinion is facing to the rear of the vehicle is effectively the same as the front axle, only without steering knuckles.

upstateny918

That is the deuce winch as well yes. Best I can tell they found a skidder frame and had a donor truck. I found a guy 2 hours from me that has a transfercase and the driveshaft I need to repair mine for $200!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On front axles you can flip the center section and reverse the rotation of the pinion. You gave to grind a little on the housing and trim an inch off the long axle. I would assume the rear axle would be very close to the same. There are mud bogger, monster truck and truck puller websites with more information on the transfer case swaps.

upstateny918

Tom Woldboldt, Possibly, Im having a harder time find a clutch tho!

Anyone have any resources for a clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing? Apparently in a previous life someone became hamfisted installing the transmission and bent 5/6 fingers on the clutch.

Also is the Clarke 202v a common transmission?

tobyS

Restate your question please. While I don't have an old deuce, the issue would seem to be having the same gear ratio. The front and rear of the TC should have the same 1-1 ratio.

I had a JD 440.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your 302 has a clutch and Clark transmission, it is most likely from a GMC truck from the WWII era called the CCKW. Try "vehiclesofvictory.com".

upstateny918

Restate your question please. While I don't have an old deuce, the issue would seem to be having the same gear ratio. The front and rear of the TC should have the same 1-1 ratio.

I had a JD 440.

My original question was do I have to run the original military transfer case being as I do not have the original front axle?

I have both rear axles, one turned around in the front position though.

tobyS

No, it doesn't matter. The TC is 1/1 on both the front and rear outputs, I believe, on the deuce. If you went to a newer 5 ton, 1138, it would act as an overdrive in high but still have the same ratio front and back ratio, so would work.

I don't know of any TC's that have different ratios on the front and rear, but there are probably some that exist.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say yes. The GM transfer case is unique in that the front and rear outputs spin in opposite directions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks