• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backfiring

booze_rooster

Is it backfiring through the intake or the exhaust pipe?

All that cranking and not starting is dumping that fuel somewhere. Where it ends up is a good indicator of what's happening.

I'd say to eliminate the tank and bad gas variables get a 5gal plastic boat tank and put fresh gas in that. Hook it up to your fuel pump inlet and pull from that. You could even put an inline electric pump and regulator and hook it directly to the fuel line port on the carb to bypass the mechanical pump.

"Rebuilt by previous owner" means nothing. I just worked on a customers 1951 Jeepster with an F134 supposedly rebuilt by a "master mechanic in a barn in Ohio". Leaked like a sieve from the oil pan where two bolts were snapped, Cylinder 1 and 4 plugs were gapped too close and the number 4 exhaust valve was too tight. Battery ground was a piece of speaker wire. Bad oil pressure sender and a rotten exhaust manifold glued on with the orange goop.

Carpartz88

Well you need to start doing some detective work. Pull the dist cap and check the points if good lube the shaft and set the points for .018". Next disconnect one of the spark plug wires and with a spare plug see it you are getting a hot spark (running) so you know the coil is ok. How long has the fuel been in the tank? Check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged up. I'm remembering from many years ago but there is a ballast resistor on the firewall and they can break or the connections can rust up. Dribble a little fuel down the carb while running the throttle cable by hand to see if you get an improvement. Baby steps.

Mark
Is it backfiring through the intake or the exhaust pipe?

All that cranking and not starting is dumping that fuel somewhere. Where it ends up is a good indicator of what's happening.

I'd say to eliminate the tank and bad gas variables get a 5gal plastic boat tank and put fresh gas in that. Hook it up to your fuel pump inlet and pull from that. You could even put an inline electric pump and regulator and hook it directly to the fuel line port on the carb to bypass the mechanical pump.

"Rebuilt by previous owner" means nothing. I just worked on a customers 1951 Jeepster with an F134 supposedly rebuilt by a "master mechanic in a barn in Ohio". Leaked like a sieve from the oil pan where two bolts were snapped, Cylinder 1 and 4 plugs were gapped too close and the number 4 exhaust valve was too tight. Battery ground was a piece of speaker wire. Bad oil pressure sender and a rotten exhaust manifold glued on with the orange goop.
so I replaced the ignition coil. And it fired up ran for 20 minutes or so and quit. Wouldn’t start until the next day and ran for 5 minutes. Now it won’t start again. What. Oils possibly burn up ignition coils

Justin7up

I use a $3 clear acrylic tube when diagnosing an engine for the first time so I visually see there's no gaps in the flow of gas from the pump failing or the hose not being at the bottom of the tank.
Remove the air cleaner and watch the carb are you leaking any gas or not getting enough gas. Gas pissing out you might need a full carb rebuild or your timing might be way off.
If idle dies out you might need to increase your idle jets

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks