• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backhoe for deuce bed Crane ?

misupratwin

I bought a case trencher 30+4 with a case d100 backhoe a few years ago cheap, it had a blown wisconsin 4 cly .I was thinking of installing the backhoe attachment in the bed of the deuce, and use it for a bed crane, I figured i would get some comments and ideas from everyone.

I have 3 pto's on the truck and i think there were 4 or 5 pumps on the trencher so powering it is no problem.

Mounting it and making it functional i where i would like some ideas, I want it to pivot at the back of the bed or mount in the front on a sort of trolley so it can slide from side to side or center to side. I have a monarch 16x54 lathe and a beaver mill so making a few things is ok.

It is mounted on the trencher with 4, 1in pins and two hoses. It has a 7 ft diggin depth, and i do not plan to dig with it (i have a case 580ck for that) ,maybe unload a load of dirt from the bed or some driveway gravel, mainly lift stuff into the bed, spare tire , snatch blocks ,tire chains, swentch tool kit, etc.

The thrid picture is from the net for reference . Thank you in advance, Tim

Attachments

ODdave

I would love to have that hoe. I would mount it on the bak of my deuce and use it for diging. It would be perfect for ponds 6 wheel drive backhoe !

Csm Davis

You need to come get my old shovel deuce and mount it where the boom on it was then it would rotate and the frame is already reinforced, and you would be saving a real shovel deuce.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would love to have that hoe. I would mount it on the bak of my deuce and use it for diging. It would be perfect for ponds 6 wheel drive backhoe !
What about attaching it to the back of a deuce like a three point hitch on a tractor.

You could use the shackle points and maybe the pintle hitch itself.

Since you have the pumps to operate it off the engine you could run lines from the engine and have quick disconnects at the rear of the truck.

You could use some type of "line lock" set up on the brakes so it would hold fast until you needed to move it.

ODdave

"You need to come get my old shovel deuce and mount it where the boom on it was then it would rotate and the frame is already reinforced, and you would be saving a real shovel deuce. "

That would be awsome! whats the reach on one of them?

ODdave

You could use some type of "line lock" set up on the brakes so it would hold fast until you needed to move it.

That is definatly a good point, I am going to do this on my crane truck as there is a slight bit of movment with the oe park brake. A lot of the older roll back wreckers had them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That boom is to small to be of any use on the back of a deuce . When mounted in the center you wouldn't move the dirt any farther than the edge of the tire and you wouldn't be able to load another truck with it . If your looking for that type of set-up look for a model 33 case backhoe they were used on the early 580's . They mount in a craddle similar to a 3 point with 2 braces with pins a the top and a pressure and return line and can be removed or installed in less than 5 minutes . but the craddle will stick out slightly.

Attachments

Last edited:

jw4x4

Consider one main drawback with these backhoe booms- they are restricted to 180 degrees of swing. That would be a deal-killer for me. To be practical, it needs to have 360 degree capability.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider one main drawback with these backhoe booms- they are restricted to 180 degrees of swing. That would be a deal-killer for me. To be practical, it needs to have 360 degree capability.
Good for trenching not much else . With atractor backhoe you can move the machine around with the boom , on the back of a truck your limited.

misupratwin

I would mount it permanently behind the cab.

Make a job boom to extend the reach to the back of the bed.

If you are going to pick up heavy loads I'd consider some outriggers.
I was thinking of using a forklift side shift to mount it to the front center of the bed, or a truck or tractor differental at the rear with a pump on the pinion to turn it.

I really don't have a need to lift anything real heavy just a couple of snatch blocks,spare tire ( I have a 5 ton toolbox going in the the spare tire location)
I have a half dozen tractors for lifting,digging,pushing dirt.

I figured that i could build a few different attachment for the backhoe.

ODdave there is a excavator deuce for sale on cl in goshen ind. :whistle: (last pic)

Thank you again everyone, Tim

Attachments