• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backup lights

Daytodog

Well bought my first military truck. I am the new owner of 923A2 :) and man is this thing amazing. I have spent hours on here reading and learning a lot from everyone and mods they have done. This site and the people are just as amazing. Already been thru the ops manual several times, now starting to dig thru tech manuals. Sorry for not posting much just don't have a lot of experience yet but will certainly try to share my experiences whether good or bad so I might be able to help someone else as others have already helped me.
First thing was fluid changes and greasing everything, at least I think I got it all. Next is to just drive it, have fun and figure out what's next.
One thing that immediately came up on my list is backup lights. My motto is that you can never have enough lights. I have looked thru the forums and have already gotten some good ideas.
I would like to add backup lights that come on with truck in reverse and additional lights on a separate switch. I need some help in detail about wires to tap into for power, type of switch etc. I have looked thru the forums and saw a post about pressure switch on transmission, type of lights people have used, etc. I have led lights that I would like to use but would appreciate some more help on the install.
If this has already been posted I apologize for asking again but please let me know and if possible provide a link.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a bunch of milspec 50w 24v flood lights that would be perfect for what you want. I guess I'll have to get a classified ad up.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a place in the transmission to put a reversing switch. I usually put a relay in the battery box to control it. The switches are cheap like 20 bucks on the bay.
Will

DeucesWild11

I am hooking up a LED set on my deuce with just a plain toggle switch and dash indicator light so I don't forget to shut it off. You can get parts at Saturn Surplus (where I got mine) or also Eriks Military Surplus. Both very good to deal with and very helpful. Sorry don't have any info on a transmission switch one.

Oh and congrats on the truck.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bought some 24V, 1000 lumen led floods (Northern Tool) for B/U lights. On the deuce, I put two of them under the front of the bed, pointing about 45 degrees to the sides, and one more on the truck frame crossmember by the rear-rear axle. On the M927, I put two at the front of the bed and two more just aft of the rear mudflaps, all skewed about 45 degrees from straight back. On both truck, they are up high under the bed so as to not be too visible.

I have them on a separate toggle. I turn them on while off-roading in the dark to light the side up as well as the rear, so they are useful when going forward as well. They are also great as area lights when around the truck at night since they draw so little power.

tim292stro

If it has to be street legal, make sure your actual backup light (not the rear auxiliary lights) has the SAE-R marking on the lens - L.E.O. can cite you otherwise, mounting location is also important. This guide from TruckLite with pictures etc, should help.

I'm using this LED fixture from Maxxima, less than one inch thick, about 1" tall and 15" wide (or rotate 90degrees - 15" tall, ~1" wide). Makes it easier to hide it

If you're worried about your memory in turning off the lights and don't want to run down your battery, use an in-wall timer switch to control the rear floods - its mechanical, and will turn them off when the timer runs out. We did this in a sail boat for the 12V-to-120V inverter that was running the microwave so we wouldn't forget to turn off the inverter (they suck a bunch of power while running even when there is nothing plugged in).

Last edited:

Daytodog

Putting a toggle switch on for aux lights, but want it setup that all lights go off when truck battery s/w is off. Anybody have the schematic or pics of what wire I need to tap into so they have no power with battery s/w off?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook a pressure switch to the reverse side of the poppett valves useing a T fitting.

OK my bad it's an 923A2. sorry fail to read instructions.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Your reverse lights can act as your rear aux lights also. No need for separate unless you want. I bought 4" flush mount 24V LED units which mount with a rubber grommet. Also installing a back up alarm, also on a silencing switch.

As others here have said, it is done by adding an external pressure switch to the Allison trans, it threads on. If you use LED rear lights, you may not need a relay. The reverse switch is just 2 contacts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I prefer the relay. I use the trans switch to give the coil a ground and activate the relay. I have a dash switch that turns my reverse lights on with an upper rear floodlight also.

Artisan

Here are some ideas for ya.

This is hands down the most badazz way to add switches.
(Look at the switch panel I designed under the steering wheel)
You just use battery switches, or, heater switches w/ a diode for
lights w/ high or low beam. It has holes
already cut along the top edge that line up w/ holes in the bottom
of your M939A1 series dash.

Just paint, add switches and lights and wiring and smile! I did all my wiring w/
the same wire used on the truck and the same rubber male and female
connectors, all soldered up, little to no crimping. You can get all that
stuff at http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/

Up front I have IR w/ H&L beams, Spot RCL's,
Out back I have reverse lights

Gimpyrobb has some nice lights! Check his stuff out, he gets the good stuff!

Here is my monster, ;

SWITCH-ASSEMBLY.jpg clear-ir-1.jpg front1.jpg

I sell this switch panel set up, comes w/ both angles bent by a sheet metal brake,
unpainted and less switches and lights. PM me if serious. A lot of work went into
the design and they all get waterjet cut. These are not Walmart parts. :)

Last edited:

Daytodog

Thanks a lot gimpyrobb but I have led lights already. A buddy of mine owns a tactical store and cut me a really good deal on some nice led floodlights by vision x ( solstice prime). My plans are to use those and set of led lights from northern tool. Been on the road working all week hopefully start to install next week, we will see. Definitely post pics let you guys give me some pointers. Figure if we share we all benefit from that. I know I have from reading post from others experiences wether good or bad. Thanks a lot to everyone for the input.

DeucesWild11

Daytodog, if you want everything to shut off when you turn the truck off you may also want to consider a Keyed battery cutoff switch. I have one that I am going to put on the ground for the batteries. When you get out of the truck take the key with you and everything will be off and it will also add some extra security..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks