• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad crack on the right front side of the Goat

goat whisperer

I´m searching for a really bad crack on the right front side of the Goat when it starts to roll.
U-joints are ok, seems to be inside the front diff.
It only happens sometimes... but than the hole Goat shakes!
Something seems to stuck and suddenly dissolves!?

Mike asked me to check the pivot joints at the center diff., I´ll do that, but I´m pretty shure the terrible noise comes from the rigth front wheel / shaft or what else...

Any idea?

Last edited:

1958 M274

Mine used to make a pretty good pop in the right front too. You could feel it with your feet when it let go if you were sitting in the passenger seat. I was worried about it at first, but determined that it was where the coil spring in the right front suspension fit up into the socket on the body. It was binding in there, maybe yours is too. I greased the area where the spring was obviously rubbing inside the socket when the suspension flexed and that made it a lot better. It still does it occasionally but not nearly as bad. I try to remember to put a little grease up in there every now and then. Hope this helps!

goat whisperer

Thank you... that seems to be a good explanation for that noise :idea:
Sometimes my goat also hang a little bit on the left side and after a ride its gone.
That might have the same reason...:!:
I will check that!

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might also consider moisture in front diff. Being possi. any moisture can affect the proper opere-
of the diff, also might need lube chg. w/additive

Gamagoat1

Ulf,
Make sure the rear diff in the tractor is greased. It rotates with the suspension and will seize if not greased. This will make the Goat sit a little sideways after a corner or off road trip. And make a load pop when breaking loose. (Not Good).
There is a zerk fitting at each joint front and rear of the diff.

Mike

Last edited:

goat whisperer

Hi,
I allready changed all the oil from the gearbox, transfer case and diffs... and all the old oil looks good, no water in the oil...

Mike, sorry, I dont understand this: There is a zerk fitting at each joint front and rear of the diff." :?:

BTW. I added lots of grease to the front coil springs and the loud crack didn´t appear again! That problem seems to be solved

Gamagoat1

Ulf,

Here are a couple of pictures of my rear differential. One shows one of the joints there is one on each end of the box. The other shows the complete gear box in place. The arrows show the joints I'm talking about. The gearbox rotates, with the wheel suspension, in these joints. I used a heavyduty, waterproof grease here. There is a grease fitting (Zerk) on each joint. The veiw of the Gearbox shows it on the right side of the picture. (At the arrow) The other end is hiddin from the camera veiw.

If these are not greased they will bind and eventually rust and lock up. There is no bearing just metal to metal fit.
How this helps.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks