• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Hybrid Power 3.0L v6 hmmwv

87cr250r

Why? The HMMWV spends most of its life idling so it won't benefit from dynamic braking in a hybrid drivetrain.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a hybrid then it won't need to idle because it'll have a battery pack that it refills from time to time. Regardless it's not like the military doesn't like to waste money either way! Anyway Banks is a legend ever since his over 200 mph Pontiac firebird back in the 80s!

87cr250r

If the pack gets depleted and it's time to go what do you prioritize? Recharging the pack or low performance skedaddling?

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seriously ask myself why!
We don't move the vehicles much after all. Even I use it as a dayli but don't get more than 20k miles a year.
So why deprive the truck of all its charging capacity? To install an unnecessarily complicated 12V system only to fail due to the fundamental ineffectiveness of the vehicle.
The HMMWV is not built to drive economically. That was never the goal! And there is no getting around this fact!
Not to mention the financial aspects.
Where is the break even point? What will it cost? In total.... Certainly not less than 10k, more like 15k. How much diesel can I buy with 15k?

No way! I understand that as an experimental approach. But certainly not as a serious offer.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seriously ask myself why!
We don't move the vehicles much after all. Even I use it as a dayli but don't get more than 20k miles a year.
So why deprive the truck of all its charging capacity? To install an unnecessarily complicated 12V system only to fail due to the fundamental ineffectiveness of the vehicle.
The HMMWV is not built to drive economically. That was never the goal! And there is no getting around this fact!
Not to mention the financial aspects.
Where is the break even point? What will it cost? In total.... Certainly not less than 10k, more like 15k. How much diesel can I buy with 15k?

No way! I understand that as an experimental approach. But certainly not as a serious offer.
I think it would be closer to 50-75K. maybe more.
Never underestimate the power of stupidity

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes perfect sense “if” done properly. Same or more power/torque from a modern 3.0 di turbo even without electric help, compared to current derated engine. Nearly half the fuel consuming displacement at idle plus extended start/stop efficiency, and short “silent” operation with a decent battery pack. Theoretical up to 200kw of auxiliary power for electronics, or the freakin laser beams attached to your heads, not sure if enough for any worth while DEW though? And my bet is closer to $150k by time it’s retrofitted. Remember who the target market is…

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kills this concept is where Banks put the battery. It uses up the entire cargo area. Most EVs have the battery slung low in the middle of the vehicle between widely spaced frame rails. The HMMWV has narrow spaced frame rails so no huge battery will fit there.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes perfect sense “if” done properly. Same or more power/torque from a modern 3.0 di turbo even without electric help, compared to current derated engine. Nearly half the fuel consuming displacement at idle plus extended start/stop efficiency, and short “silent” operation with a decent battery pack. Theoretical up to 200kw of auxiliary power for electronics, or the freakin laser beams attached to your heads, not sure if enough for any worth while DEW though? And my bet is closer to $150k by time it’s retrofitted. Remember who the target market is…
If the target Market is the military market, i'm in. Mainly for the reasons you mentioned.
But in this case i hav to ask why to choose a outdated paltform!
And so we are back to a pure feasibility study or marketing stunt.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to be a fly on the wall the first time an 18 year old drops a wrench in the wrong place, or see a cargo hold full of them chain react as has happened recently.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks