• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks SidewinderTurbo

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
How much did you have to fork out for the Banks?, best Ive found is about 2400.00 shipped. I'm going to do one on my 1008

truck0590

Man, I would love to do turbo...just not enough time to do it cheap and not enough money to save me the time :cry: . So getter dun and tell us all about it so I can just cry in my beer while living vicariously. :mrgreen:

Truck

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure the fuel economy increase will be terribly noticeable. It's a better improvement when towing than when un-loaded, but that's only if you can keep your foot out of it... :) I put the kit on my civvy truck last year and it's a noticeable power adder. It makes it feel like a stout small-block, but with better economy. It is much more pleasant to drive. It ought to make a M1009 really haul...

FYI: I paid just under $2K for mine, new. The dealer matched a price I found advertised online.

jumpmasterjim

I talked with a salesman on the phone from Banks. they price matched Jegs which was the cheapest I could find $2,396-. The kit comes complete with exhaust(3"), turbo,& hardware. We are gonna have to do some fabrication on the rear battery/ tray. May have to move it because the air box looks like it may share space, besides the turbo also looks like it will be close. "They" say it should take about 20 hours. We'll see. No work on it today too busy. I'l keep everyone posted.

Bozor1000

Re: RE: Banks SidewinderTurbo

jumpmasterjim said:
I talked with a salesman on the phone from Banks. they price matched Jegs which was the cheapest I could find $2,396-. The kit comes complete with exhaust(3"), turbo,& hardware. We are gonna have to do some fabrication on the rear battery/ tray. May have to move it because the air box looks like it may share space, besides the turbo also looks like it will be close. "They" say it should take about 20 hours. We'll see. No work on it today too busy. I'l keep everyone posted.
Good deal. Let me know how that fab comes out. I plan on doing the same thing with my M1008 when I get it! I do the same thing to Banks that you did with the price comparison!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the autoparts store and get you some insulating exaust wrap. Or header wrap. Insulate where the crossover pipe touches the lower radatior hose. The kit comes with a small heat shield. But trust me it doesen't work very well. I wraped mine and the put the heat shield over that. The hose lasts much longer now and heat isn't being added to the incoming water.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ,
I think it might have been here...
http://www.aaxeldiesel.com/Merchant...25241&Category_Code=banks_sidewinder_turbo_gm

I actually bought it from Gomer's (US Diesel Parts), since I had bought from them previously and they matched the price. They advertise on The Diesel Page and I'm a member, so I used that in conjunction with the price match and they said OK. Their regular price is $2200 for the kit I needed:
http://www.usdieselparts.com/morein...DEWINDER_TURBO_SYSTEM&CFID=392510&CFTOKEN=687

ken,
I had my crossover pipes and the exhaust head pipe (attached to turbo) Jet-Hot coated and it is really nice. Be careful of the wrapping. The parts are not stainless and the wrap can cause the pipes to rust faster.

jumpmasterjim,
Did your kit come with a powder-coated boost tube? Or was it chrome as their literature says? Mine was actually a tan powder coat, so I had it Jet-Hot coated too. It looks *almost* as good as chrome, but I wasn't complaining for the price I paid.

CCATLETT1984

CUCVFAN said:
I had my crossover pipes and the exhaust head pipe (attached to turbo) Jet-Hot coated and it is really nice. Be careful of the wrapping. The parts are not stainless and the wrap can cause the pipes to rust faster.

jumpmasterjim,
Did your kit come with a powder-coated boost tube? Or was it chrome as their literature says? Mine was actually a tan powder coat, so I had it Jet-Hot coated too. It looks *almost* as good as chrome, but I wasn't complaining for the price I paid.
When you wrap you need to coat it very well with silicone spray, this will waterproof it.

My boost tube is chrome, its an older kit though. My kit is the early design that dumps the return oil from the turbo directly into the oil pan, via a bung that is welded in.

CCATLETT1984

I also have pics in the photo album link in my signature of my install and the parts.

I did not use the banks air box, so i was able to keep both original batteries and trays. I have some more pics to upload since the truck was finished, but most of them are up already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks