• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Basic G.L Auction Question(s)

beastm35

Has anyone ever bought a auction? I was looking on G.L and found a lot of military surplus, when you buy something in a (lot) is the price for the lot or per item in the lot?Example.If there are 100 sleeping bags that sell for $200 is that for all or per sleeping bag?Also do they ship it for you for shipping cost or do you have to pick up? Some of these auctions are all over the country.I've never used auctions before so any help would be great.. thanks to all.

LanceRobson

Good morning, beast.

There's a couple of complete forums here on GL and all the ins and outs. The search feature is a big help there. The winning bid is the price you pay(plus the buyers premium). Each lot is treated as one price regardless of how many items are listed within it, On the auction page you'll find a listing, by stock number if available, of everything in the lot.

Lance

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have bought a lot of stuff from GL over the years to include vehicles (before they lost the vehicle contract).

It should tell you how many items are in the lot.

In the case of sleeping bags (your example) they are not going to sell them one at a time. They generally reserve that for large ticket items.

A "triwall" is a good example of a GL lot.

A triwall is a three layered cardboard box (hence the name) that contains numerous items.

My personal theory is they move these boxes through some cavernous warehouse pushing items into them willy nilly.

There is usually an inventory below the description that may or may not reflect everything that is in the box.

Often these items are brand new in the original packing.

If the Federal Stock Number (FSN) is included in the description there are ways to find out what the item is for and who made it.

I have had some great scores out of triwalls over the years. Sometimes you can get them for minimum bid or a shade higher.

One consideration to think about is shipping. GL has several large regional sales centers (Oklahoma City and Lockbourne, OH are two examples) where most of the good stuff is shipped to (at taxpayer cost). If you are buying a small ticket item and you are several hundred miles away from the sales site you will prob spend more on shipping than you save.

You also have to work around GL's schedule to pick your stuff up. You now have to go on line to make an appointment to pick up items.

There are folks that will pick up stuff and forward it to you but you always take a chance on running into a scammer or someone that will pick items out of a triwall and send you the rest. I used to do pickups on vehicles for folks at bases near me and never had an issue or complaint but I made the extra effort to make sure everything went right. At one time I had a great working relationship with all the GL reps in my area. I still do it occasionally but I don't like dealing with GOVPLANET so my vehicle recovery business is almost nil.

I have made money buying from GL and I have lost money.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also only certain LTL carriers pickup from GL locations. UPS Freight has a drop trailer at the Lockbourne location. At the OKC location it has to go thru a UPS store there near by in order for them to pick it up and band/wrap/secure for shipping.

CARRIERS PH0NE # FAX #
AAA COOPER 405-677-5548
ABBA FREIGHT 866-779-9350 541-690-3432
ABF FREIGHT 405-677-0571
AVERITT EXPRESS405-732-7743
CONWAY(NOW)XPO LOGISTICS405-634-8491 405-634-1463
ESTES 405-440-9105 405-440-9123
FED EX FREIGHT 405-672-2880 405-677-0262
LAND AIR EXPRESS 405-670-3385 405-670-3953
OLD DOMINION 405-619-5585 405-619-5590
R&L CARRIERS 405-677-2892 405-619-0378
SAIA 405-672-7500
SOUTHEASTERN 405-557-1885
UNITED VAN LINES 405-947-8001
UPS FREIGHT Must hire a packer to provide labels for UPS to pick up

FloridaAKM

For the last few years, I have watched GL auctions & found some good deals in my area. The triwall scrap deals were a big hit or miss for the short time they were offered until they realized there was better money to be made not listing as scrap. Now that GP is taking over GL's contracts, we shall see what offerings are set for auction as. I will miss GL & the people I have dealt with here in the Jacksonville area, they were great to work with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks