• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery and Filter?

red devils dude

Hello chaps after looking at mt batts I know I need new ones Im thinking of going to optima's with the Adaptor tray but if you
guys think its better I will get 2 new 6TL's,
And for the filter ? where do I get the right fuel filter's?
plus I now need a new Air filter assey, the bottom part that locks on to the top and the filter sets in.

Elwenil

rdixiemiller said:
Never heard of the Optima battery. What is it, and where do you get it?
Regards
Robert Miller
Optimas are a sealed cell battery that is popular with the off road crowd. They can be mounted in just about any configuration, and have a good power output for their size. They are available at just about any racing parts mail order place like Summit Racing or Jeg's, as well as just about any 4x4 shop, and I think even some of the auto parts chain stores carry them now. They are a little pricey compared to regular batteries of the same size, but are totally worth it. Check out: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/brand.html

jeepthrills

Your friendly neighborhood sears carries optimas now! And you can sometimes get them on sale. I just got a red top for the wifes Jeep, cost me 99 bucks!!! Well worth it. I had a red top in my old cherokee limited(89) with the Meyers E-47 and a 2 meter blade. That battery went through all the abuse of being in a power everything rig and stood up to working a plow blade for the 3 years I owned it. And from what I understand, here we are 2 years since I sold it and a buddy of mine back east says it is still getting abused and loving it. I could leave that thing idle for 2 months and it would always start right up, with out any help from the jump pack, and with out a charger. I have been sold on them for years, they are the best. I would go with the red tops....unless you have a shelter body and will be running lights etc...all through the night.

just my $.02

cten

FYI-I have recently done some research on the Optima batteries.

The specs call for the blue tops. D34M or 34M (verify part#) with 750-800CCA and you can purchase the base to secure them in the box.

These are not available through the sears in my area.

I went and put in two marine batteries with 800CCA and they are working fine and turn her right over. $70.00each from West Marine. I'm sure you could pick up a similar battery from Sams or Costco or BJ's to do the job.

I also attained a price of $120.00 for the 6TL through two local dealers after I contacted DEKO and edjucated the battery shops that they could attain them.

I have a friend that was in the battery business for 35 yrs and he says the marine batteries are fine and will not cause an issue. I have seen them cheaper than $70.00each.

I know nothing, but have been doing a lot of asking around and researching things with manufacturers of the product.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

cten

Just some info as I was just at Costco and they had the blue top D34M for $142.00each. Costco also had a marine battery with 750CCA for $54.00each.

Desert Rat

cten,
I see you are on top of your game! I use marine batteries too. There's nothing wrong with using them. Plus they're cheaper than the 6TL's. I just don't feel rich enough to use those 6TL batts..

ICEMAN71

HEY GUYS if you check with your local continental battery dealer they should be able to get 6tl batteries for you since continental supplies them to the local base here. but if you like the optima batteries you cant go wrong with them either, one of optima's sell points several years ago was to shoot one of their batts with a 45cal pistol and still start several vehicles without problems or acid leakage. they can even be mounted upside down without problems :roll:

ICEMAN71

secondary fuel filter #86512 carquest autoparts made by wix, carquest can also get the primary filter but i dont remember the #. as far as the air filter assy check menphis equipment for a new one or with our sponser saturn surplus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks