• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Minder Questions

What do you think of the Battery Minders

• Battery Minder is not worth the Money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brianrbull

I would like to know of your experiences with the Battery Minder Line of Chargers....
I work overseas and my equipment sits for long periods of time. I dont have batterys in everything but the ones I do have need to be ready to go......
I am thinking of installing one of these devices permanently in each piece of equipment....
Would it be better to buy the 24v one or get individual 12v units for each battery?

Thank You

Brian

If you wanna charge them IN the truck 24volt. If you plan on taking them out you could charge them separately which may be better if the batteries are of different age or condition. You could charge them separately in the truck but it would be a pain to remove and replace the cable everytime.

steelandcanvas

I have had great sucess with BatteryMinders, and I use the 24 Volt unit. The only drawback I can see thus far, is I can only use it for the Deuce. So I went and bought their small maintainers for my other 12 Volt batteries, ATV, lawnmower, R.V., etc. I have brought back up several batteries with this unit, definetly worth the money.

Last edited:

emr

U do NOT need to isolate the batteries to charge them with a 12 volt on each one, in fact If u have a few batt chargers that are say 4 amp and u want to charge a battery faster u can put more than one charger on each battery as long as they do not total an output of more than 12 volts for each batt, have done all this plenty of times, any batt tech will tell u this is true too, go to batterystuff.com , U should have a desulphater also, U can put a 24 volt on board ,i have on each truck but i am going to put a 12 volt on board on each batt , that is the ultimite, if u use just a 24 volt it is more than fine, but if U want to get into it and get the most out of batts , u need to take em out at least once a year clean em and dring em each up to charge by a 12 volt and rotate them the last batt that was getting juice to the first and so on, u will find there is always a lazy bettery in mil trucks because the last batt getting the juice is always a little low because they do not fully charge them in service and it causes desulphation and the result is not holding a full charge, sulphated batterys take a charge very fast but it is a surface charge and does not last. It is just inexperience not knowing U can charge all your batts in the truck hooked up, Nothing wrong with that , I learned from calling all the manufacturers and doing what they say, not listening to the guy down the street at the garage , they do NOT know, U need to call the source for the correct info, And recently i needed to move the 925 and it was way cold and i did not have the chargers on , So I needed juice , so i slaved it, plugged in the on board 24 volt and pulled out the 4 battery at a time charger/maintainer and hooked one lead to each batt, and that is not only fine it is recomended in times of a needed fast charge. nothing got warm no fuses blew, becuase it is impossible.Now like i said do not excede 12 volts in each batt, that is over charging, and will cause damage.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a Promite it is 24v hooks up to both the battery's it is made for boats so it is completely sealed I just leave it hooked up all the time
works great
Like the Chargetek 500 unit I use (used it for many years), it hooks up to both batteries individually, the "24 volt" description may be slightly misleading.
Each battery is monitored separately and the end result is that they are kept to within millivolts of each other, an important factor when charged/used together like on our trucks.
The Chargetek will "fast charge" at a rate of 3 to 5 amps as needed to restore charge. This is not possible with a solar panel of the size supplied with a Solargizer, for example, so an external power cord is needed.

Another Ahab

Understanding that it's subjective, and a total judgement call, but...

The Question never really got addressed/ answered:

- #3 Is the device (a battery maintainer/desulfator) worth getting?

- #4 Or, is it completely unnecessary, and more cost-effective just to replace batteries at the end of their life-cycle?

(Qualifier: driving the vehicle regularly, i.e., no long periods of non-use/ storage).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks