• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery replacement

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a picture now that your batteries are back in, if I’m looking at the pic with them out correctly I think the small wires could still be drawing 12v off the one battery even with your disconnect between the batteries in the off position. I don’t think a disconnect between the batteries is a very good location anyhow.

biscuitwhistler37

Can you post a picture now that your batteries are back in, if I’m looking at the pic with them out correctly I think the small wires could still be drawing 12v off the one battery even with your disconnect between the batteries in the off position. I don’t think a disconnect between the batteries is a very good location anyhow.
Just saw this reply..... 😬, the wires for 12v go to a panel with it's own on off switch, so yes it will still send power, but only on demand, and only for emergencies. I will get a picture up of them installed though. As for the placement of the interrupt switch, I wasn't confident at first but now I'm comfortable with it. If it fails, the worse it will do is remain closed, no shorting, no reverse polarity, just a defunct cheap switch. I am open to different placement ideas though.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the CCA you have to worry about as far as balance goes, but the actual energy level of the battery itself. One might be at 12.5 amp and the other is at 11.8 amp. Make sure to use group 31 batteries, something deep cycle with at least 900CCA
1: I think you mean to say "volts" here,, not "amp". ;) ..

2: Deep-cycle batts are not made for sudden high-amperage loads such as cranking a diesel.. They can be used for emergency starts, but they
are not intended for cranking duty and may suffer premature failure.. I am sure there are many references online .. I am not saying it cannot be
done. rather, it should not be done (y)

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter

2: Deep-cycle batts are not made for sudden high-amperage loads such as cranking a diesel.. They can be used for emergency starts, but they
are not intended for cranking duty and may suffer premature failure.. I am sure there are many references online .. I am not saying it cannot be
Yes I almost made this error when I purchased new group 31's a couple years ago. It sounds good but regular batteries are correct for our application.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I almost made this error when I purchased new group 31's a couple years ago. It sounds good but regular batteries are correct for our application.
I fell for the "sounds better" line when deep-cycle's first came out.. Worked fine for awhile in my trailduster until the morning it blew up the second the starter engaged .. Not only was i blown out of the money , but also the time it took... Many hours and many washes with baking soda solutions, it made one helluva mess under the hood and got into everything.. It was mid-winter and certainly not a good time to be dealing with it and the water

Last edited:

ToddJK

I had a few typos in there, haha, thanks for correcting that! My excuse...I was sleep deprived when I wrote that post and I'm sticking to it 😁

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks