• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bed wood

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be installing my dropside bed soon. Does anyone know what kind of wood is between the frame and bed? Mine is rotted enough that it's not going to work. It looks like red oak, but as rotted as it is i can't be sure.

Longhunter7

Tough Wood?

If you can't find some nice oak for a replacement, try using Black Locust.

It is used by farmers for fence posts because of it's rot resistance, and it is a very dense and heavy wood! :arrow:

rdixiemiller

Red oak works fine. Cut to length, countersink for the rivet heads on the frame. We used to paint 4 good coats of used motor oil mixed 50% with diesel fuel. Keeps the wood from rotting, and seems to keep the frame rails from rusting on top. We used this under the beds of dump trucks, flats, etc.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a hold of some red oak. I just finished relieving the holes for the rivit heads. Would thompsons water seal be the best? Or should i paint them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks