• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Been really wanting an LMTV ... but...

Krista

... but. And mine is pretty big. πŸ˜πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

Backstory: Been lurking here off and on for a few years, drinking every drop of LMTV and MTV wisdom y'all been sharing. I last drove a military truck in my reserve unit in 1989 because the motor pool wanted everyone to be passably qual'd to drive the M9xx trucks. I've always loved cab over designs based on size and no long hood - I blame vans for this. And I'm a great engineer and technician - restored an abandoned ten years rotational molding machine ... de-rusting and rebuilding it to working condition.

From my experience, everything is a compromise. I wasn't aware of the LMTV's short-comings until really poring through the posts here. The low speed - ok, that's fixable with axles. But then the military tires with their speed limit. OK, next is the roughly 5 foot deck height of the bed. But then what really blows is when I read it doesn't have full "lockers" so it can still get stuck. Well hell. TWO THINGS would really work out in my favor to get the LMTV of my dreams (like "Atlas" in the classifieds) are helping move my aforementioned rotational molding machine and the dream to convert it into an overland RV that's ok on the freeways between places not getting stuck. The sticking point is that the LMTV isn't really suited to either of those for me.

Have you seen Terex cement trucks?
terex_green.jpg
I live by a redimix plant and one of the yards uses this exact truck. They drive them like a-holes. I love it! They pretty much drag race my 1998 Tacoma to 70 mph. They must handle amazeballs, too, because they don't slow down for two lane back roads. They're as fast as I am when I would be setting the world on fire in my Ram Promaster van. I could sling that thing into any turn - faster than I'd dare to in my Taco truck. While these have the HD 4000 series heavier duty Allison than LMTV's 3070, the Terex has full lockers everywhere:
terex_dash.jpg
So to be blunt - for an overlander, the Terex totally wins. Take off the tub, build an RV box, drive anywhere, and don't get stuck. Plus it's probably get one hell of a PTO and hydraulic pump for anything dumb I want to add. Here is a random listing for a Terex that actually has some specs in it. This exact one is too new and nice to not use for its intended purpose.

The more I read about transmissions and transfer cases, the more I think I can't just change the LMTV to work better. Honestly it seems easier to get about any COE truck, put a transfer case on it and 4x4 front axle. Then I have rear wheel drive and can leave the front axle unpowered. Heck, I could try and add overdrive for freeway MPG and speed. So this is a strong point of compromise to try and fit the LMTV into.

And what about moving the molding machine from work?
The other Great Excuse to get an LMTV would be to have it when it comes time to move the stuff from my work. It's got a 4 foot loading dock and 10x10 foot roll-up door. The oven is just smaller than 10x10 on the end - and about 14 feet long. When we bought the machine, it was unloaded at a tow yard and then I moved everything off a flatbed into the loading dock by hand using toe jacks, industrial skates, and load straps to the building's beams. So I guess an LMTV could get fitted with smaller diameter truck wheels/tires to get the bed down to 4 feet above ground? Isn't the LMTV bed on risers as well? Not a to total CF if I move the oven in-town but how low is the new top speed? I can already see taking off an LMTV's front drive shaft... And then rent a forklift to offload onto flat ground or find some place with a 4' dock and storage.

I'd already considered buying a rollback tow truck to move the oven to someone's yard or maybe a commando mission within a number of miles. "Real Transportation" will need a low boy and permits, etc.

Full circle back to wanting an LMTV:
If I can get an LMTV cheap enough, I can self-justify buying it as a toy. It'd be my twice/thrice a week driver to work (11 miles each way with 45 mph limit). Then I can start learning on diesels and another scale of industrial grade stupidity again. And I'm going to paint it pick; sorry boys. 🀣😍 Well that or if a Terex comes up stupid cheap that'd probably preempt an LMTV altogether. πŸ˜₯ But OMG they sure look fun to drive.

Realistically, I'll keep watching for some kind of tow truck in case a too good to pass deal comes by. But those are my thoughts and dreams for now.

Thanks for reading, sorry if it's a whole lot of nothing burger but nothing would be better than adding my pink LMTV to the build threads.
πŸ’š Krista

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
... but. And mine is pretty big. πŸ˜πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

Backstory: Been lurking here off and on for a few years, drinking every drop of LMTV and MTV wisdom y'all been sharing. I last drove a military truck in my reserve unit in 1989 because the motor pool wanted everyone to be passably qual'd to drive the M9xx trucks. I've always loved cab over designs based on size and no long hood - I blame vans for this. And I'm a great engineer and technician - restored an abandoned ten years rotational molding machine ... de-rusting and rebuilding it to working condition.

From my experience, everything is a compromise. I wasn't aware of the LMTV's short-comings until really poring through the posts here. The low speed - ok, that's fixable with axles. But then the military tires with their speed limit. OK, next is the roughly 5 foot deck height of the bed. But then what really blows is when I read it doesn't have full "lockers" so it can still get stuck. Well hell. TWO THINGS would really work out in my favor to get the LMTV of my dreams (like "Atlas" in the classifieds) are helping move my aforementioned rotational molding machine and the dream to convert it into an overland RV that's ok on the freeways between places not getting stuck. The sticking point is that the LMTV isn't really suited to either of those for me.

Have you seen Terex cement trucks?
View attachment 840969
I live by a redimix plant and one of the yards uses this exact truck. They drive them like a-holes. I love it! They pretty much drag race my 1998 Tacoma to 70 mph. They must handle amazeballs, too, because they don't slow down for two lane back roads. They're as fast as I am when I would be setting the world on fire in my Ram Promaster van. I could sling that thing into any turn - faster than I'd dare to in my Taco truck. While these have the HD 4000 series heavier duty Allison than LMTV's 3070, the Terex has full lockers everywhere:
View attachment 840970
So to be blunt - for an overlander, the Terex totally wins. Take off the tub, build an RV box, drive anywhere, and don't get stuck. Plus it's probably get one hell of a PTO and hydraulic pump for anything dumb I want to add. Here is a random listing for a Terex that actually has some specs in it. This exact one is too new and nice to not use for its intended purpose.

The more I read about transmissions and transfer cases, the more I think I can't just change the LMTV to work better. Honestly it seems easier to get about any COE truck, put a transfer case on it and 4x4 front axle. Then I have rear wheel drive and can leave the front axle unpowered. Heck, I could try and add overdrive for freeway MPG and speed. So this is a strong point of compromise to try and fit the LMTV into.

And what about moving the molding machine from work?
The other Great Excuse to get an LMTV would be to have it when it comes time to move the stuff from my work. It's got a 4 foot loading dock and 10x10 foot roll-up door. The oven is just smaller than 10x10 on the end - and about 14 feet long. When we bought the machine, it was unloaded at a tow yard and then I moved everything off a flatbed into the loading dock by hand using toe jacks, industrial skates, and load straps to the building's beams. So I guess an LMTV could get fitted with smaller diameter truck wheels/tires to get the bed down to 4 feet above ground? Isn't the LMTV bed on risers as well? Not a to total CF if I move the oven in-town but how low is the new top speed? I can already see taking off an LMTV's front drive shaft... And then rent a forklift to offload onto flat ground or find some place with a 4' dock and storage.

I'd already considered buying a rollback tow truck to move the oven to someone's yard or maybe a commando mission within a number of miles. "Real Transportation" will need a low boy and permits, etc.

Full circle back to wanting an LMTV:
If I can get an LMTV cheap enough, I can self-justify buying it as a toy. It'd be my twice/thrice a week driver to work (11 miles each way with 45 mph limit). Then I can start learning on diesels and another scale of industrial grade stupidity again. And I'm going to paint it pick; sorry boys. 🀣😍 Well that or if a Terex comes up stupid cheap that'd probably preempt an LMTV altogether. πŸ˜₯ But OMG they sure look fun to drive.

Realistically, I'll keep watching for some kind of tow truck in case a too good to pass deal comes by. But those are my thoughts and dreams for now.

Thanks for reading, sorry if it's a whole lot of nothing burger but nothing would be better than adding my pink LMTV to the build threads.
πŸ’š Krista
Well... You can make 55 with stock parts on the LMTV. Bigger tires will make it go a little faster, but at the expense of uphill performance on a long climb. The 9xx series by default doesn't have lockers. USMC is pretty hardcore on having lockers, so look there to be able to have 6 wheels pulling. There are ways to use the brake to slow the spinning wheel (in non-lockers) and will often get you moving forward again.

In my mumbly opinion, you can go most places without lockers. There are people who could break steel marbles in a sandbox with a rubber mallet. I see pictures with rear wheels buried to the axles. Those are the people with the rubber mallet. The more you slop around in the mud, the better your chances are to break something. That and a nickel isn't worth a lot...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks