• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Belt Driven Hydraulic Pump

Bacon4x

Has anyone installed a belt driven hydraulic pump for a dump bed, or winch, etc..? If so can you post pics of your install? I want to gather some ideas before starting the project.

RangerBob

In the area of 'etc..?', some of my antique snowcats have hydraulics to adjust their track height. Here are a couple of so-so videos showing the hydraulics in action. I'll see if I can find some under-the-hood pictures tomorrow. These cats have 1200cc VW engines, but I think the sound will give that away.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUPSllyeK7k[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w373YfJsC_o[/media]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You'll want a double pulley setup at the least. If you try to use one of those setups, expect the belt to slip under hard loads.

Bacon4x

Yea, the electric clutch is what I was thinking. I would like to see where and how others mounted it on their multifuel. Seems like this setup would be more versatile than a PTO pump.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You'll want a double pulley setup at the least. If you try to use one of those setups, expect the belt to slip under hard loads.

How much they are in the pulleys makes a big difference too. If they only ar in contact with 1/3 of the surface, they will slip more.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think a belt pump would be any more versatile than pto pump. IMO it's easier to find a place to mount the pump to the pto than it is trying to mount it to the front of the engine.

Nothing wrong with a belt pump, I just prefer a pto pump.

flyxpl

I have a clutch actuated serpintine Belt driven hyd.pump on a cat 3116 . Pump is also available in a v belt . Pump will run dump bed , plow setup and salt preader . About $500 for the pump .Pump is not very big and should be possible to mount on a LDT.

Bacon4x

I was thinking that the belt driven pump would be better because you could have the clutch in or out, you could be in our out of gear, and as long as the motor is running you have power.

RangerBob

Ok, so not in a deuce, but useable in one...

One of my snowcats has a starter motor-driven pump. A second battery was installed just for it. Switch it on, use it, switch it off, engine running or not. I don't know why the previous owner converted to this from the belt-driven, but here it is...

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was going to install a belt driven pump I would definitely want one with a electric clutch. You wouldn't want the pump running all the time when you didn't need it. It will heat the oil, wear out the pump much faster, and rob hp with it running all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks