• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best diesel motor oil for a MEP-802A ? Climate range 10 to 80 degrees

Ray70

Looks like several guys beat me to the punch, but as I was reading my response was going to be Buy whatever is on sale! I've used them all. Rotella, Delco, Delvac, Tractor Supply's "Traveler" line, ( just got 2 gl. of Traveler for $17 on special ! ) even the Wally world's Super Tec. oil. ( supposedly made by mobil ) As long as you use 15/40 diesel you're good.
I would hold off on the synthetic until after 100 hrs. but that's just my opinion.
Now... You guys ( starting with RustyStud ) also have the flat tappet and Zinc comments spot on. Every machine I've gotten with under 100 hrs has always gotten a little bottle of ZDDP Maxx which I get in a 12pk. deal on FleaBay. Engine builders all recommend break in oil like John Deere ( which has added zinc ) to help break in the cam and lifters. I found it cheaper to just buy the additive and throw it into conventional oil.
Oriley's and other auto parts stores also carry larger bottles of Lucas Zinc additive, but it is much more expensive than ZDDP Maxx is on-line and you only need to use it for 1 oil change.

Ray70

Sure any time, PM sent... For others, looks like this "working from home" thing is melting my brain. It was a 10 pack of ZDDPlus for $83.
Plenty of other sellers out there, but this is one of the better prices.
Search ZDDP additive for more options and qty.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
As building engines for years. The other aspect of break-in oil is Non-Detergent oil. You do want the oil build up and such during break-in. So much so, that we would get straight 30w non-detergent oil for break-in oil. That is why the John Deere break-in oil is pretty good to start with. It is a non-detergent oil with additives in it. :)
After break-in, whatever diesel oil you find cheap. The lower US will be fine with 15w-40 diesel oil. Upper sections and Canada, the climate will dictate which oil weight to use.

wbuhrman

What are the thoughts of using synthetic 5W-40 oil instead of 15W-40? In my area, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is more readily available than the T6 in 15W-40. Thanks to all for a great thread!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on climate. To me, with the service interval required... any weight should be obtainable in such small quantities for civilian use. Its not like you are keeping a fleet operational. You don't get very harsh winters in MD, so you do have leeway in what you run.

If the engine is properly broken in, run what makes you feel good. Juts make sure its diesel rated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks