• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best first MV?

Deuceshigh

Okay, zoo after having trouble finding an answer to this question, what is the best first MV? I WANT an M35A2 with a nice hard top, but I am a fat arse (6' 5" and 265) and all legs, so I am worried about room. I probably can switch out the seats and move them back to give myself more room and a better ride, but I hear the CUCVs are more comfortably (but then I may as well get a used ford/chevy). I don't want an M37 (as awesome as they look) due to the whole engine thing (Ive never heard of the design and parts will be a PITA). Plus multi fuel is AWESOME! I can get all the WMO I want and know a fellow who can help me out (even with the taxes and the like).

Also, how hard is it to insure a deuce (I want to be able to use it as a regular driver and actually haul stuff in it) as a young (under 25) fellow? I have a clean driving record thus far, if that is relevant and qualify for USAA insurance.

Working on it won't be a monster issue (I can learn how and know a guy who can help me if I ask nice). I understand that it will be close to $500 for a complete fluid change. Are there any similar options (like a unimog in the same price range)? I do want to be able to make a highway drive (so a 55mph or 50 mph speed is required). Oh and my dad was a section driver way back when so he is very familiar with the deuce (he has a love/ hate thing going on with them).

So with that in mind, what is the general concencess?

EDIT: Sorry, I was trying to click conversations when I posted this. SOrry mods, would you mind moving this?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why is this in the SS RALLY forum ???????, we are getting a lot of this lately, just post in where ever the dart lands, never mind if the the thread or post fits the forum title or not.

Last edited:

Deuceshigh

Why is this in the SS RALLY forum ???????, we are getting a lot of this lately, just post in where ever the dart lands, never mind if the the thread or post fits the forum title or not.
I clicked the wrong link as I was tired and not paying attention. Sorry bout that.

197thhhc

You cant go wrong with a deuce. Parts and trucks are plentiful and they are extremely cool. Insurance ranges, try putting "deuce insurance" in the search function. There is a lot written about it. Your size will make it tight but still doable. CUCVs are nice but they dont draw a crowd like a deuce does.

Deuceshigh

You cant go wrong with a deuce. Parts and trucks are plentiful and they are extremely cool. Insurance ranges, try putting "deuce insurance" in the search function. There is a lot written about it. Your size will make it tight but still doable. CUCVs are nice but they dont draw a crowd like a deuce does.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. Ill bet due to my age Ill wind up spending $1800 a year on insurance. :( But that is way less then one uninsured accident!

DeucesWild11

Go for the Deuce, you can put in a slightly smaller 18" steering wheel instead of the 20" but you may need a bit more arm power. In the hills of CT and NY you may not get up to 55mph all the time depending on the grade. I can tell you this however, it's never been more fun going slow..

PS: Research your town code first to make sure you can park it in your driveway or at your home if you have a homeowners association. My town has weight and length requirements.. and every town is different so do your homework first..

Good Luck.

Deuceshigh

Go for the Deuce, you can put in a slightly smaller 18" steering wheel instead of the 20" but you may need a bit more arm power. In the hills of CT and NY you may not get up to 55mph all the time depending on the grade. I can tell you this however, it's never been more fun going slow..

PS: Research your town code first to make sure you can park it in your driveway or at your home if you have a homeowners association. My town has weight and length requirements.. and every town is different so do your homework first..

Good Luck.
I can kinda sorta park it as long as it isn't in view (as long as it isn't registered as a commercial vehicle, i don't remember the exact rules, but it is something along the lines of put it in a garage or it is a fine). But I am moving up to maine next year full time where i can park whatever I want, so it won't be an issue (plus the soonest Ill get one is next summer, Im just trying to plan and build a budget at this point). Thus far the budget is $8000 for a truck (high, but better to budget too much then too little) $1200 to get it home, $1500 for parts/ complete fluid change and $2000 for registration/taxes/ 6 months of insurance.

On the wheel thing, how hard is it to put in power steering? is it idiot resistant or highly technical? And with my driving ability Ill be going slow for a while anyway (and avoiding highways for the first month or two).

jsthnt@gmail.com

I love mine, I think that about selling it to pay bills all the time, but I don't know what I would do without one. I would just have to get another one and start one that I would build up. But I really like it, and the mushroom was on the intro for the curvy buggy build on xteeme 4x4 this morning.
You can't go wrong with a deuce.

91W350

I used to say pick up an old Dodge, but I think a deuce is as good as it gets. They are simple, forgiving and a riot to drive. There are some adjustments you can make to the pedal arms to give you a little more leg movement.

Deuceshigh

I love mine, I think that about selling it to pay bills all the time, but I don't know what I would do without one. I would just have to get another one and start one that I would build up. But I really like it, and the mushroom was on the intro for the curvy buggy build on xteeme 4x4 this morning.
You can't go wrong with a deuce.
Thats too bad. But at least there are more out there!
I used to say pick up an old Dodge, but I think a deuce is as good as it gets. They are simple, forgiving and a riot to drive. There are some adjustments you can make to the pedal arms to give you a little more leg movement.
Reading about them it seems like the deuce is like the AK of trucks (you either love em or hate em, they are simple, reliable, big, loud and fun to play with). That is great news about leg room (I always need more!).

Flyingvan911

I agree. Go for a deuce. Everything is straight forward and not to difficult for a person with a basic knowledge of tools and a desire to keep up on maintenance. My deuce is a blast. CUCV's are smaller but the electrical system can be very weird to work on until you get used to it.

Deuceshigh

I agree. Go for a deuce. Everything is straight forward and not to difficult for a person with a basic knowledge of tools and a desire to keep up on maintenance. My deuce is a blast. CUCV's are smaller but the electrical system can be very weird to work on until you get used to it.
Whats weird about the CUCVs electrical system?

Flyingvan911

Cucv's have a 12/24 volt system. The truck is 12 volts overall. The starter is 24 volts. It has two alternators and the wiring can be a little confusing. Especially if someone else has tried to repair it previously and hacked up the wiring. Other than that many people like their cucv's.

197thhhc

With the budget you have for a truck you should be able to find one get a smaller steering wheel and put either the air assist steering kit from an A3 or there are a couple people that make power steering kits for them. Either type will set you back about 1800-2000 unless you can find a used air assist kit. Some of them go around a grand give or take.

Deuceshigh

Cucv's have a 12/24 volt system. The truck is 12 volts overall. The starter is 24 volts. It has two alternators and the wiring can be a little confusing. Especially if someone else has tried to repair it previously and hacked up the wiring. Other than that many people like their cucv's.
Hmm. That actually doesn't sound too bad (but I haven't had to fix one so it is probably pretty confusing in reality). Are the wires differentiated or does one just have to know?

With the budget you have for a truck you should be able to find one get a smaller steering wheel and put either the air assist steering kit from an A3 or there are a couple people that make power steering kits for them. Either type will set you back about 1800-2000 unless you can find a used air assist kit. Some of them go around a grand give or take.
In your opinion is the air assist worth it? I will certainly do it eventually, but the parts budget was more for shot tires, worn out brakes, etc (i.e. things I needed so the thing was safe to drive). A smaller steering wheel probably can't be more then $50 if I pick one up at a scrap yard, no?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks