• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to get a 6.2 block heater?

Mike_Pop

I'm tired of draining my batteries every time the temps dip near zero here. Can anyone recommend where to get an inexpensive block heater for the 6.2?

Thanks in advance!

86M10086.2L

RE: here

I understand that most of you want to keep the vehicles as military as possible but what about the southwind heaters that alot of tractor trailers use. I know I've seen smaller ones the size of the artic heaters and theywould alot better than a blockheater and easier to find than a artic kit. A tiny little 1000w block heater is not going to warm up your truck when its ice cold. Most people make that mistake. If your plug the truck in warm when you get home at night thats a different story. They're not designed to heat up the coolant but rather keep it warm. And that only lasts so long in the frigid weather. better than nothing. I'd personally be looking for battery warmers, or and oil pan heater. But all in all I'm not a trucker and I've been lucky so far with my truck starting in the cold.

Hoot_223

the heaters that will bring a truck up to temp good in the cold are the 1500 watt tank heaters.

MilitaryRestoration

Ya i was thinking about sticking an oil pan heater on there as well...just haven't gotten a chance to research it yet...might have time now with 5" inches of snow on ground and more on the way...doesn't look like i'll be putting engine in this weekend :-/

Mike_Pop

The Southwind heaters run off of gasoline...not much use in a diesel truck. I also have a 24 volt heater that runs off of the diesel fuel but it also requires the usage of the batteries...thus defeating the purpose of trying not to drain the batteries down.

Thanks for the suggestions as to where to find a block heater.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Mike, some of the South Wind heaters are multifuel. MR, look at the lds in a deuce thread, he put block heaters and oilpan heaters on it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not to be funny, but the pad, oil pan heaters are in every parts house here. You only need one of about 100 watts for you pan. We put them on auto trannys here, too. If your using all of them (battery pad as wel), we install a weather proof electrical duplex box inside somewhere in an inconspicitious spot & rund a 12 guage cord out through the grill.

On that freezplug heater you installed......, put some diaelectric grease on the terminals now while it is still clean. Otherwise the terminals will get dirty from road grime/salt, etc., and the next thing those little terminals will burn off!

There is a 1500 watt freeze plug heater in my 8V92TT and it will heat and start the engine in the coldest applications. That is in conjunction with oil pan pad heaters.

Forgive my spelling
Lee in Alaska