• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best street legal power steering conversion? For 2.5tonn

Chitstirer

Ok I've been doing a bunch of research on this, what your opinions?
ive been told the entire set up off a 900 series truck will fit onto a 2.5 tonn multifuel? Is this correct?
And whats the cheapest route to go? Can I just but the power steer pump and bolt up a steering box off say a kenworth or something ?

Ive be seen some kits for $3500 this seems excessive,
my fab skills are good so I can make all sorts, but I'd really like to know what everyone has found works really good

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok I've been doing a bunch of research on this, what your opinions?
There have been literally dozens of threads on all the ways to upgrade M44 series steering systems, you should ask this question in one of those threads. If you need help finding them (or other threads in the future) there is a link in my signature line. Click it, ask for help.

I'll link a bunch of the M44 threads below to get you started.

ive been told the entire set up off a 900 series truck will fit onto a 2.5 tonn multifuel? Is this correct?
I think there's at least one or two guys from SS who have rigged 5-ton stuff onto a deuce, but I wouldn't try it. The steering gear off an M39, M809 or M939 series truck is just so ginormous, it's going to create so many headaches trying to package it that it's not worth the few hundreds buck you save.

I also think it's quite dishonest that eBay sellers will part out 5-tons, then list their PS hardware as being adaptable to M44. Sure, you can adapt a multifuel into a Smart car if you have enough time and money to throw away......................................

And whats the cheapest route to go?
Probably a used air-assist.

Can I just but the power steer pump and bolt up a steering box off say a kenworth or something ?
Not really. Here's the long and short of it:

You want some sort of power steering in an M44 series truck? You'll end up with:

A. A new or used air assist set-up, like what the M44A3 had.
B. Some sort of hydraulic "torque generator" mounted inline, in the steering column.
C. Some sort of "true p/s"-a pressurized box, a p/s pump, etc.

There's been so much discussion of the various systems that I'll let you decide what is right for your needs, budget and skill levels.

Ive be seen some kits for $3500 this seems excessive,
my fab skills are good so I can make all sorts, but I'd really like to know what everyone has found works really good
See links below:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119117-M35A2-Power-Steering-Question <-- that thread has several links to threads that will answer 99% of your questions. See post #2.

61sleepercab

Street legal would be a mechanical steering setup that survives a power steering failure. Driving a C-30 Chevy with hydro brakes and steering can make you grey headed real quick when the engine dies and you are fighting both the brake pedal and steering wheel at the same time. I am real fond of steering and stopping anything I am occupying. I would suggest something time proven like the International steering box conversion based kit since there are thousands of those trucks on the road and lots in salvage for parts. There are lots of u joints for steering shafts,lines, and simple pumps on the market from the hot rod market and hydraulic shops that you could make up a shaft and lines. I have a deuce and know how much better a vehicle she would be if I could steer without a hernia or $1000 to 3500 smackers out of the wallet. My 5 ton gets more seat time from me just because of the power steering. Mark

w3azel

If you have even a little mechanical skill I would highly suggest Waterloo Specialties. I have one of their kits on my truck with 14.00s and absolutely love it. Tom is a great guy to work with and call if you have any issues. Granted the kit is expensive but its everything you need and it works great. No guessing or custom fabrication needed.

Reaper651

If you have even a little mechanical skill I would highly suggest Waterloo Specialties. I have one of their kits on my truck with 14.00s and absolutely love it. Tom is a great guy to work with and call if you have any issues. Granted the kit is expensive but its everything you need and it works great. No guessing or custom fabrication needed.
:ditto: Out of the different kits I have looked at, Waterloo Specialties kit is the best IMHO. At some point, I will be sending them a good chunk of cash for their power steering kit and their overdrive kit. Two of the best things you could do to your Deuce IMO. Easy steering and the ability to cruise at 55mph without running the multifuel at waaay higher RPM's than it should ever turn.

Chitstirer

There have been literally dozens of threads on all the ways to upgrade M44 series steering systems, you should ask this question in one of those threads. If you need help finding them (or other threads in the future) there is a link in my signature line. Click it, ask for help.

I'll link a bunch of the M44 threads below to get you started.

I think there's at least one or two guys from SS who have rigged 5-ton stuff onto a deuce, but I wouldn't try it. The steering gear off an M39, M809 or M939 series truck is just so ginormous, it's going to create so many headaches trying to package it that it's not worth the few hundreds buck you save.

I also think it's quite dishonest that eBay sellers will part out 5-tons, then list their PS hardware as being adaptable to M44. Sure, you can adapt a multifuel into a Smart car if you have enough time and money to throw away......................................

Probably a used air-assist.

Not really. Here's the long and short of it:

You want some sort of power steering in an M44 series truck? You'll end up with:

A. A new or used air assist set-up, like what the M44A3 had.
B. Some sort of hydraulic "torque generator" mounted inline, in the steering column.
C. Some sort of "true p/s"-a pressurized box, a p/s pump, etc.

There's been so much discussion of the various systems that I'll let you decide what is right for your needs, budget and skill levels.

See links below:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119117-M35A2-Power-Steering-Question <-- that thread has several links to threads that will answer 99% of your questions. See post #2.

thanks for that, i did a search on here but didnt come up with didley squat, theres some good stuff in there

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks