• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bikini top for the deuce

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made another log kit delivery yesterday using the deuce. It was a light load, but I drove from VA to NC, so it is interstate commerce. I stenciled the DOT# on the side of the truck, taped the cardboard name tag on the door and was ready.
Some stats,

Fuel mix: 15 gallons of homemade biodiesel + 5 gallons of pure cooking oil + 25 gallons of petro diesel

Trip length: 265 miles with a 7-8 mile long 5% grade (downhill) and one 7-8 mile 8% grade (uphill) in each direction.

Fuel milage: 9.1 mpg

Speeds: 50-60 mph on the interstate.

Weather: 80+ deg with an afternoon thundershower. Didn't need the wipers, the Rainex applied for the Aberdeen trip was still working. During the brief storm, people pulled over along the highway, but I was able to drive on at about 40 mph.

Deuce config: stubaxle in rear removed and standard front axle hubs. Freewheeling hubs may have their benefits, but with only one driving axle (=wheel), I like to be able to switch in the front wheel drive on the fly. On this trip, the last mile was on a gravel road, which needed front wheel drive and I engaged it as needed without stopping.

Bikini top: (see image below) when I returned home, I put a standard vinyl cover over the bikini top, for weather protection when parked. 15 minutes later, I got back into the cab to get some papers and was shocked by the stuffyness (?) of the air in the cab. How can you guys drive with an enclosed cab?
A lot of heat comes from the firewall, which gets to 130+ on any drive, the open back lets it all out.
During the thunder shower my shoulders got a little wet.

Engine temp: Using the plywood front the temp was kept at about 185-190 for most of the trip. The long uphill drives increased it to just over 200 (thermostat fully open), perhaps the openings in the plywood should be enlarged somewhat for summer driving...

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I see you have standard running lights over the top of you truck. Do you have them on te rear too? How many amps is your alternator? I think my alternator is dying from running trailer lights on the transportable shelter, a C.B. radio a fan and lights at night on my trip to Houston. I'm trying a 100 amp. alternator solution when I get to Houston next time.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brent,
Here is a rear view. When I switched to the M756 bed most of the lights stayed on the old bed, including the back-up lights/alarm.
I'm in the process of installing lights on the M756 bed now and plan to use more LED's. You may have noteiced my question regarding black-out clearance lights
My generator is only 25 amps. A 60 amp upgrade is on the to-do-list ( I have the alternator and wiring kit).
So far I have only had trouble one time with overloading the light switch breaker during a nighttime turn with all lights on and with the M103 trailer. The turnsignal surge did the breaker in.
Another item on the to-do-list is to separate the headlights from the standard light switch so that I can override a tripped breaker..Driving in sudden darkness is not healthy.

I would think 60 amps is enough, even with trailer lights, remember it's 28 volts, that's 1,680 watts and a typical marker light bulb will need about 5 watts. A 60 amp alternator could run over 300 bulbs.

Start looking into using LED type lights, that will save you a lot of amps.

Westech

CPL
I love my hard top. It keeps all the snow and rain out (thats what I end up driving in all the time) but yes your right on how stinking HOT HOT HOT it gets in the cab. Even with all the vents, windows, and windshields wids open it a oven.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I'm looking to run a military radio in my truck as well as the C.B. radio, a CD player, an A/C unit and all the normal lights. I know I'm putting quite a load on the alternator in doing this. Thus the questions. Yep, I found the lights link. Thanks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/C? Keep in mind that these vehicles were designed for jungle duty among other things. Before you add the air conditioning, take the top off. I have driven my deuce for many years in the winter (when snowing) w/o a top. The firewall get very hot when driving and sets up an air flow, keeping you warm in the winter but not too warm in the summer. Like last Monday's trip, I was hardly swetting while driving (used the bikini top in Florida too, BTW), but after I put the "parking top" on the cab became unbearably hot.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
I'm not one for being overly warm. However, I really like the top. Plus with areas to mount my extra equipment provided for in the ceiling I have legitimate needs to keep the top on. Thus A/C will be installed. I know it may well be perceived as heresy to the purists. However, this particular truck is a marketing tool I use to sell more trucks and truck parts. One HUGE question always asked about the truck is can A/C be installed. Thus I need to prove it can be done. I'm looking for every advantage I can get. BTW, with both windows rolled down, both vents open and the sliding rear window open I was very comfortable driving in the heat in Houston. I didn't need to open the windshield at all. Plus to keep the interior from building up heat leave a window down just enough to allow a thin crack and two or three floor hole vents open as well. By using convection, the cool air enters the floor holes and the heat escapes the crack at the top of the window. Thus no more sweltering heat in the cab.
P.S. - The convection idea presumes the truck is parked and in the sun on a hot day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another truck for those guys getting too much heat from the floor is to close all the windows and pop open a windshield. It pressurizes the cab and blows air out all the holes in the cab. It defies logic but has merit.

rdixiemiller

Bjorn
Try using some 24 volt industrial relays in your light circuit. Use the switch to energize the relays, then put on individual breakers for the different circuits/relays. Mount it all in a little Hoffman box under the dash to keep it waterproof. You could separate the left from right headlights as well, if you are having problems. I have plenty of relays and bases if you want to try some.

Desert Rat

Way cool! Could you send them to Houston? I'll be there very soon. Check your PM for the address.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks