• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil instead of WVO for Biodiesel???

Noah

Curious if anybody has experience using biodegradable hydraulic oil instead of veggie oil or waste veggie oil to make biodiesel.

The biodegradable hydraulic oil is made from vegetable oil but has other detergents in it as well. Worried that the detergents might cause issues. Does anybody know about this?

Beyond Biodiesel

I have not heard of anyone making biodiesel out of biodegradable hydraulic oil, I find the biodiesel far too much time, trouble and expense so I blend gasoline with waste oils; and biodegradable hydraulic oil should blend just fine with gasoline.

runk

The food grade hydraulic oils are all mainly water, with just a tiny bit of vegetable oil and lots of emulsifiers and detergents. They are not even remotely flammable. Are you sure the bio-degradable oil isn't something similar ?
I'm not familiar with the current state of the art in hydraulic oils, since I've been out of the robotics game for about 20 years, but a quick Google search makes me suspicious that there is a lot of water in them - low flammability, high flash points, little to no toxicity listing in the MSDS's. I'd want to know more about the components before I tried to burn them in my engine.

Beyond Biodiesel

The food grade hydraulic oils are all mainly water, with just a tiny bit of vegetable oil and lots of emulsifiers and detergents. They are not even remotely flammable. Are you sure the bio-degradable oil isn't something similar ?
I'm not familiar with the current state of the art in hydraulic oils, since I've been out of the robotics game for about 20 years, but a quick Google search makes me suspicious that there is a lot of water in them - low flammability, high flash points, little to no toxicity listing in the MSDS's. I'd want to know more about the components before I tried to burn them in my engine.
In a NH250 though? I don't have the multifuel status, but can I be comfortable with a mix like that?
My premise for 7 years of alternative diesel fuel making, is if it dissolves into gasoline as my thinning agent, and remains there in solution for a week, then it should, and has, burned with no trouble in my 6.2L Chevy diesel engine. I have made DIY diesel fuel blends out of a wide range of waste oils and solvents that have all run on my diesel engine. Therefore I see no reason why food grade hydraulic oils will not work as diesel fuel, as long as they dissolve in petroleum distillates. If they do not, then they will not work as fuel. It is that simple.

iatractor

Without knowing exactly what this oil is, I can tell you from my days in the fuel distribution business that there were some soy based hydraulic oils that were not food grade. Back in the early to mid 2000's there were a couple of brands of industrial hydraulic oils that used soy as the main feed stock. Primary market for this was maritime construction companies and others who worked around bodies of water. Used in dredge pumps and the like. Premise is if they had a leak or spill while operating over water that contamination was at a minimum and degradation began very rapidly when exposed to sunlight and moisture. One brand also offered a chain/cable lube, rail oil for the track oilers on locomotives. Don't remember who made it, seems like it was a specialty company that was riding the soy bandwagon at the time. We had a couple of jugs in the co-op we had to sell. One day we opened a jug up to look at it. True to the word, it looked and felt like hydraulic oil versus cooking oil. My opinion is that if you have this and want to burn it in the deuce, treat it as a mineral oil or wvo for fuel. Don't try to make biodiesel out of it because there are all sorts of additives and detergents in hydraulic oil that you might get some unwanted chemical reactions from it when blending the lye, alcohol, and other goodies to your soy oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks