• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biodiesel and waste oil

camp9

If it is clean, liquid, flammable, and water free, it goes in my tanks. In everything. Deuce, XM818, 2004 dodge 2500, 1965 ford 4000 tractor, M915A1, M1008.

I was a ships oil king. I've forgotten more about fuel oil testing and quality control then most people learn in a lifetime. Ask anyone on here, my trucks have 0 fuel issues. Yes, sometimes the mix makes them smoke like a freight train, but I'm a locomotive engineer by trade so thats fine with me.

You do NOT need a conversion kit to burn odd stuff- but you must do it carefully and smartly. I've got 242,xxx miles on that dodge, and only have had to change filters and oil, and I get 33mpg highway. And I burn EVERYTHING in that truck. When EMD567 and I came back from Kansas, I got 21mpg and that was with a total truck and trailer weight of 14,140lbs and going 70+ MPH. 2cents

:tinkerbell:

Some diesels are just built with very narrow fuel requirements. If you mix and blend to keep it within the design perimeters, you will have no issues as well.
How have you kept your system from coking on the 6.2'? I have a 7.3 idi with fattywagon heaters and after a few months have coking to deal with. Im in the process of putting water injection in to hopefully deal with it. I've been running straight wmo and wvo (100%) with a heated tank. I even centrifuge but don't have turbo on any of the trucks. I've heard that turbo can made a difference on coking so that might be my problem. I've been hesitant to try it on any of my 6.2's until I get it figured out. Thanks,

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

Your 7.3 idi is very similar to a 6.2 Detroit Diesel. Don't bother to run WMO on anything without a turbo, or coking will be a major issue. If you want an interesting long read on a 6.2 forum on running WMO on 6.2s, then here is a link:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434255

I am not surprised that you are having coking issues running your n/a 7.3 idi on a heated SVO system. If you had a turbo, you could probably get away with it. Blending seems to work on any diesel engine as long as the blend is close to 20% gasoline to 80% waste oil. Some engine designs are more forgiving. The turbo-charged PSD is one of those.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your 7.3 idi is very similar to a 6.2 Detroit Diesel. Don't bother to run WMO on anything without a turbo, or coking will be a major issue. If you want an interesting long read on a 6.2 forum on running WMO on 6.2s, then here is a link:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434255

I am not surprised that you are having coking issues running your n/a 7.3 idi on a heated SVO system. If you had a turbo, you could probably get away with it. Blending seems to work on any diesel engine as long as the blend is close to 20% gasoline to 80% waste oil. Some engine designs are more forgiving. The turbo-charged PSD is one of those.
Hmm, interesting response. A turbo will prevent coking of injectors on a IDI engine? Wonder how all those Mercedes diesels manage to run 100's of thousands of miles on SVO/WVO/WMO. :roll:

camp9

I've got a old 300 Mercedes I'm going to be running on wvo/wmo as soon as the weather warms up enough. Mine's turbo 5 cylinder. I might have to try mixing some gas and experiment that way. I've read quite a few posts on different threads about using water injection and thinking it's worth a try. If I could get a old 6.2 to run on it or even a percentage would sure help. I was hopping the fatty wagons would be a ticket, and I know it helped at lot, just not the magic bullet yet.