• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biodiesel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over a period of six months or so, I have collected waste cooking oil from a local pizza place and our own kitchen. I have about 20 gallons of the stuff and feel ready to take the next step in turning it into biodiesel for the deuce. My goal is to run on 50% biodiesel for the trip to Aberdeen in May.
Does any of you have any experience with this process?
:banghead:

PS. You guys have done a great job on this site! BB

SETHZILLA

hey Bjorn,

One of my friends runs cooking oil for his diesel truck. He doesn't change it into Biodiesel instead he has an auxillary tank that holds the oil. What he does is starts it up with normal diesel from the main tank, lets it warm up for about 2 minutes then flips the switch to his aux. oil tank, then drives off with the french fry smell coming out of his exhaust! (he gets his oil from Burger King and McDonalds!) [:)] when he reaches his destination, he flips the switch back over to regular diesel so it will have the combustion principles necessary to restart the motor. [thumbzup] While this is impractical if your just running around town ie; lots of stopping and starting, he uses it for long drives and commuting from LA to SF.

just thought i'd add my 2 cents worth.

:devil: SETHZILLA!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey sethzilla! Does your buddy run a tank heater in the fry oil tank? If so, what temp does he keep the stuff?

SETHZILLA

i'm not sure, it's been awhile since i've talked to him. But i don't think he had a preheater :confused: in his tank. not sure?

:devil: SETHZILLA!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have actually just mixed cooking oil with the diesel in the main tank. The mix was about 10% oil to diesel. It was last summer and the weather was nice and warm, wouldn't recommend it for winter driving. There was no noticable difference in performance/
The oil was store bought, so there was no cost advantage, just did it for fun.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Bjorn,
Most of the setups I have seen on anything from a VW Golf to a Unimog use an aux tank to hold the WVO and preheat it. They start on diesel and stop on diesel. Some use an exhaust heat exchanger to heat the WVO tank and some use H2O or electric. I guess I am rambling about WVO and not Biodiesel though. I haven't read much on making biodiesel. Cool project!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks