• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blasting Cabinets

acmunro

I have two TP tools blasters in my shop. I have the small top load units. I always liked the topload models for small parts you have to hold in your hand and blast. I did make modifications to my TP blasters to suit my needs. The big one was making an angle iron frame for the door window and replacing the plexiglass with window glass. A foot pedal is a nice upgrade for the cheaper cabnets thats the only way to go in my opinion.

I visited their showroom too nice helpful folks. They also have another building with some nice restored cars to look at.

dozer1

970 Detailer

Better late then never, here is an update on my blasting cabinet choice. I went with the "970 Detailer" from TP Tools & Equipment . I wanted to get decent air plumbing to it before doing a review. (As opposed to just plugging my airhose to the foot control)

It is great for what a bead blasting cabinet is good for. Meaning small to medium sized blasting jobs. It is what I expected, as long ago when I worked in a motorcycle shop, they had one there and I always said one day I would have one of those. That was around 1987. Now a quarter of a century later my dream has been realized:jumpin::jumpin:

So far all I have done for mods is added the 4"x4" framing on the base of it with gussets in the corners. At 6'1", I needed the extra height and it greatly stiffened up the cabinet as well. I might buy their High flow nozzle later on so it would work better with bigger media such as coal slag, for more aggressive blasting jobs. (I tried some in there and it didn't work well.)

To sum it up, if you want a glass bead blasting cabinet for cleaning small parts, ect., get one, there great. I would go with a slightly smaller one if I had it to do over again, as that is more cabinet space then I needed for cleaning smaller parts. I had the room in the shop, so redundantly large did me no harm. Last but definetely not least MADE IN U.S.A !!!

Attachments

135gmc

TP Tools makes nice equipment - all the way from basic cabinets to heavy duty commercial cabinets. Check their web site since they go to car shows with cabinets. Be careful not to buy too small a cabinet. I sometimes buy grit from them as well, but shipping runs into $$, so I usually fall back on Northern Tool or Graingers since they both have sales offices in my area. You can also check on Craig's List for used equipment, but a used commercial cabinet can cost more when it's fixed up than a new one from TP Tools.

dozer1

I got a 50 lb bag of recycled glass media from Northern Tool. Great stuff and it was only 9 bucks I think. 2/3 of the bag is under the blaster yet as seen in the pic. Just needed to add a little to get the blaster feeding nice and consistant.

One thing I have found about owning that cabinet is as time goes on, you are just looking for an excuse to clean something up in there. Things come out of there very clean with a nice satin finish with that media. That is perfect for painting. Or if you go on to wire wheel it from there, steel polishes almost like chrome and brass polishes nice and shiny.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks