• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blazer Problems

kipman

Owned four Deuce trucks, this is my first cucv, when it sets for a day, it is hard to start like it will loose the prime, any ideas?

beaubeau

It sounds like the glo plugs may not work. I know some 6.2 were known not to start too well. I just got my first and I am luck it goes well, so far!! Make sure both batts. are fully charged. That is the worst thing for 6.2, is to have LOW batts. Raises heck on starters and glo plugs. Phil

mangus580

Start by troubleshooting the glow plugs (search, I have described how plenty of times)

then, check to you have no fuel/air leaks in the fuel system.

BobM

Be sure and check each glowplug seperately. I once had a 6.2 that I bought with all "new" glowplugs. I tested the circuit and it showed good. after several expensive days, I finally checked each glowplug. One was good and seven had been burned out by some idiot "testing" them before he installed them! :oops:

jag7720

kipman said:
Owned four Deuce trucks, this is my first cucv, when it sets for a day, it is hard to start like it will loose the prime, any ideas?
Is it sitting on a slope with the tail down? Mine does that.. Someone told me that there was an issue with the fuel pump losing prime and the new ones fixed the issue. I have not replaced mine as I am putting a Walbro in when I install my WVO system.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: Blazer Problems

The factory lift pumps on the side of the engine didnt have a check-ball to prevent back flow, the ones that you can get at the parts store do have a check-ball built-in so they wont let the fuel flow back to the tank.

hobie237

I'm having a similar issue, mine will also sometimes start and then die. I know my fast idle switch is busted, and I'm going to be troubleshooting the glow plugs as well.

hobie237

Thanks for the info, I'm going to be pulling up the shop manual and looking it up.

Does anyone know whether the glows stay on for a time after starting? If they do, then they're still somewhat suspect, if they don't, then I can be reasonably well assured it's a fuel system problem.

Thanks.

CCATLETT1984

mangus may jump in and correct me on this (its been a long time since i had the controller hooked up), but iirc the plugs are cycled on a few times after startup. this has nothing to do with the engine running, its solely for the purpose of reducing the white smoke when starting cold.

hobie237

Ok, that means that I can be reasonably well assured it's a fuel problem. Since the lift pump is new, and the injection pump seems in good order, the fast idle and cold start advance switches seem to be where to look.

Now I just gotta find 'em. ;)

Thanks.

hobie237

Ok, I found the fast idle relay- AutoZone P/N MR82 for $12, but I can't find a "cold advance" switch listed anywhere.

The real question is whether I can just fake these with manual switches.