• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding the fuel filter on a 818

OldGoat

I am new to the 5 ton 818's. Do you drain the fuel filter like you would on a deuce? Do you turn the ignition on & then drain, or do you need to start the engine and drain while it's running?

area52

The cummins powered trucks do not have an in tank fuel pump so drain the filter housing, replace the filter then fill in back up as much as possible with fuel and then reattach. Any little air in the line causes hard starting.

jwaller

if you want to only drain the filter then you should open the petcock on the bottom of the filter and then open the petcock on the feed line coming from the tank valve on the top of the filter. this will drain the crud from the bottom of the filter.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cummins powered trucks do not have an in tank fuel pump so drain the filter housing, replace the filter then fill in back up as much as possible with fuel and then reattach. Any little air in the line causes hard starting.
I my self do not like filling the canister. I feel it makes for a cleaner and safer job to put in the new filter and bleed it out with the primer pump.
If you are new to the system the petcock for bleeding the system on the intake manifold by firewall under spark plug. Pump the primer till you have good pressure and no air. Will take some time but I still feel that this is the way.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I my self do not like filling the canister. I feel it makes for a cleaner and safer job to put in the new filter and bleed it out with the primer pump.
If you are new to the system the petcock for bleeding the system on the intake manifold by firewall under spark plug. Pump the primer till you have good pressure and no air. Will take some time but I still feel that this is the way.
I read the TM and couldn't find this petcock on the intake manifold under the spark plug. Any photos? the pic in the TM doesn't help me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sounds like you need to download these 3 TMs.

TM 9-2320-260-20P TM 9-2320-260-24P-1 TM 9-2320-260-24P-2

kurtkds

Man, I don't even have my 818 yet and I have those downloaded.. Mike you must be slipping... LOL:shock::shock::shock:

Even with going through those, I'm still learning stuff about the 5 ton.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
update:

-20P and 34P-1 and 34AP-2 all uploaded. Never thought to look on the "old" SS site...duh!!!:confused:

bassetdeuce

Using the primer to fill the housing is tedious. When I change the filter, I clean the housing thoroughly, put the new filter in, then carefully fill with clean diesel with the spout between the filter and housing. I fill it about an inch short of the housing rim, then install. I've never needed to prime, and that Cummins fires right up and runs normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks