• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bob Deuce extended drive shaft?

cgah04

Hey guys,
looking to bob a deuce and extend the drive shaft a little bit. I read on another thread that some of you extend it using tubing then get it balanced. Is it also possible to use a shaft of a f450 or comparable? I think id rather cut down the drive shaft then extend it. Is somthing like this possible?

Awesome Possum

Get it done professionally. I just had mine extended by 13", balanced, and primed for $191.50. Was done by Inland Truck Parts which I think is national. Nice guys, too.

Loco_Hosa

Many people with 400 horsepower hottrods get their shafts professionally extended (Lol, wow.....) and have no problems. Why are you so concerned about this procces?

cgah04

roflJust new to this and haven been told by numerous people that i shouldnt do this.. but if that seems to be the going trend and no one has had problems, looks like thats what im gona do.. thanks alot

Ridgerunner

When I bobbed my Deuce, I had to have the drive shaft lengthened 5". I had D&R Driveline re-shaft/re-tube the driveshaft to the proper length and also spin balance it for $140, out the door.

Awesome Possum

Streched mine at Inland Truck parts , 8" they tried to charge me $350 after a $250 quote, in the end they honored the $250 quote.
Inland first told me over the phone that it'd be about $300. Was very pleased that the quote was $191.50, and they charged me within a few cents of that. Guess it really depends on who's on duty at the time. I've always been real good about bitching when they try not to follow through. Good job on making them stick to the $250.00.:driver:

ctmustang

Definately something you want professionally done. It sounds like youve made up your mind to do it yourself regardless. GOOD LUCK! just remember if or when it comes apart on you it's gonna cost you alot more than what you could have had one custom made for- This is 25 years in auto-truck repair and machine shop experience talking to you.:razz:

coke29

The proper way extending the drive shaft with one piece of tubing, not just an extension. This is done by removing the ends on a lathe and replacing the old tube with a new piece of drive shaft tubing. As previously mentioned, this should be professionally done as the ends need to be properly aligned. You would be better off for a drive shaft shop to do the work which would result in a more reliable and better product. The price difference in having the drive shaft balanced as apposed to completely built wouldn't be much cheaper.

Coal Cracker

I just had mine extended with a new tube 5 inches, for $200 , read my lips} HAVE IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY!

Do not attempt to do it yourself, it takes a special lathe and balancer to do it correctly.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

Who would be the best for making a new driveshaft? Im all for having it professionally done. That way, you have and ass to chew if it falls apart on ya.

Sooooooooooooooo, whos the best?

Seth_O

I've done both, lengthened my own (for a Landcruiser) and had my deuce shaft professionally lengthened. It was cheaper to do my own (but not substantially) and was an all day activity complete with quite a bit of stress, a lot of whacking it with a hammer and doing things 2-3 times to make sure it was perfect (the ends have to be perfectly phased.) And I still had to take it in to get it balanced after I was done.

For the $150 I spent to have my deuce shaft rebuilt longer, have the u-joints cleaned and lubed, and get the whole thing balanced and painted - it was absolutely worth it and the right way to go.

As mentioned, the proper way to do the lengthening (whether professional or not) is to cut off the ends of the old shaft and weld a completely new shaft in the middle that is the proper length...and then have it balanced. For just the grief alone, I'd have someone else do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks