• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed deuce load test.

joshuaz223

I was moving coal for my brother yesterday a short distance on private roads so i thought i would do a little test to see where the limits are for my truck. I have stock deuce front springs on the back and 395 tires on stock rims. my truck is not shortened. all the wheel cylinders, the master cylinder and the air pak have been rebuilt. i run my tires at 38 psi empty rear and 45 front. that seems to be the best with my tires.

6000# tires start to bulge. brakes work well handles normally.

8000# tires bulge enough you would want to put in air if you are going very far. brakes still work well enough to slide a pallet of coal 3000# if you want to. starts to feel top heavy in turns(tall pallets)

10,000# tires have to have air. went up to 50psi to get normal bulge. brakes are effective but not great. springs are touching rubber snubbers but not crushing them. very top heavy in corners and tires roll on narrow rims.

12,000# tires have to have 65psi air (max is 95). brakes are unsafe for street use. spring are crushing snubbers but not completely. corners are scary tires rub box in turns and bumps. tire roll on rims in turns is bad.

I never used low range and the truck would always reach 55.

Loco_Hosa

Thats a **** of a picture!

How much was still in the truck at that point?

I would love to see a stock truck loaded with the same weight.

Side thought, as to bobbers and load weights (Something I think about on occasion even though I would never bob my truck) I wonder if you were useing a trailer bed, instead of a Deuce bed, how much weight difference there would be? I know the truck's bed weighs in the neighborhood of 1800lbs.... I also would think that the weight would be more directly over the axle in a trailer bed bobber, which would result in less leverage, making the suspension handle the weight better....

Thank you for posting this!

Loco_Hosa

deuce front springs in the rear?
Hint: Its a 4x4, not a 6x6.

He didnt change out the bed or shorten the frame, he just removed the tandem suspension and replaced it with a stock set of front springs, to accommodate the now single axle in the rear.

This as apposed to using trailer springs.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hint: Its a 4x4, not a 6x6.

He didnt change out the bed or shorten the frame, he just removed the tandem suspension and replaced it with a stock set of front springs, to accommodate the now single axle in the rear.

This as apposed to using trailer springs.

I think he was asking if he used stock front springs or trailer springs

Loco_Hosa

I think he was asking if he used stock front springs or trailer springs
My bad, I read in the first post that the OP was using stock deuce front springs, not trailer springs, so the question made my mind jump to, "Poster doesn't understand why/how this is load testing front springs".

Perhaps I was wrong. I was just trying to clear it up.

Ridgerunner

Thats one truck, put back to work after retirement from the goverment. :p

The top over-load leafsprings from a M105 trailer would be happy to be your friend. With loads like yours, I'd look for a set. I bet you could even score some for free.

eldgenb

My bad, I read in the first post that the OP was using stock deuce front springs, not trailer springs, so the question made my mind jump to, "Poster doesn't understand why/how this is load testing front springs".

Perhaps I was wrong. I was just trying to clear it up.
I missed that line in the original op, I have never seen the stock front springs sag that bad under even a heavy load, looked like some trailer spring setups that I have done in the past under a heavy load.

Plus if you would look at the lines in my signature you would see that I have done a few of these in my days.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks