• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber 20K PTO Rear Winch

Dave08

Booger,

Thanks for the pictures, this is a project that will go on my list of things to do with my MV. I will continue to watch for pics as well.
thanks,
Dave08

spicergear

With the roller fairlead on the big winch, why not keep the rear crossmember and pintle hook? The two angled braces for the rear cross member just about mimic the angle of the sides of the fairleads. I actually have a 20K Garwood under the rear of my crane truck just not powered. Mounting was fairly easy using the factory winch side plates. I would seriously consider pulling the crossmember closer to the rear and moving the big winch forward in the chassis. Trust me, you WILL use the pintle hook more than the winch...though the winch is awesome to have when you need it. Seriously I would really, really, REALLY consider keeping the rear crossmember. (!!!) I've put rear winches on three trucks now.

I probably will use the rear cross member , just haven't got that far along yet. The two angle braces however won't fit because the winch is in the way. I can't slide the winch any further forward because of the spring perches. This whole rear winch thing started with trying to get the weight of my Bobber 50% front and 50% rear so it actually four wheels well. I took the front winch off and replaced it with a 16,800# 24v electric winch to lose some weight on the front and added the 20K winch to the rear. I may end up moving the fuel tank and the batteries too. It started out at 6200#'s on the front and 4800#'s on the rear so I have a ways to go.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see you moved the air tanks also. I had to do that with my t-case PTO. I found out that you could take another set of tank brackets and modify them to have a tank mounted against each frame rail. I wouldn't work in your case though because of the exhaust.

With the roller fairlead on the big winch, why not keep the rear crossmember and pintle hook? The two angled braces for the rear cross member just about mimic the angle of the sides of the fairleads. I actually have a 20K Garwood under the rear of my crane truck just not powered. Mounting was fairly easy using the factory winch side plates. I would seriously consider pulling the crossmember closer to the rear and moving the big winch forward in the chassis. Trust me, you WILL use the pintle hook more than the winch...though the winch is awesome to have when you need it. Seriously I would really, really, REALLY consider keeping the rear crossmember. (!!!) I've put rear winches on three trucks now.
I did end up using the original cross member. I wasn't able to use the 20K fairlead because it stuck out too far. Nor was I able to keep the pintle hook as it is where I mounted the fairlead.
I will post a couple of pictures when I find my camera.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks