• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbing questions

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have my front m35 springs in, I used xm381's site for pics and measurements. I slid the rear axle in and once it sits on the old purches, the diff is facing upward somewhat, I havent put the U-bolts on yet.
i am reusing front u-bolts from the top down wit the bottom plate that has the shock mount on it...do I need different purches and u-bolts?
Also using the nipple on the top of the axle for alignment, is this a true reference? Or do they need to ground off? If I do, how do I align the axle from left to right...it seems pretty good now.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...I disregarded the nipples on the old rear axle, moved the axle till it was even spacing from frame rail to side wall of tire...6.5in to be exact. Now the axle is centered and level.
This was using all front axle hardware....it sits fine, looks fine...now have to flip hubs and lengthen driveshaft.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea when using the Deuce top perch the heavy end goes forward and that will pitch the axe down for better drive line angle. I don't use the tire as a point but use the solid part of the axle housing where the backing plate meets the axle. I don't reuse U bolts as they can be had pretty cheap for what they do. After you get it finished up put some miles on it and double check the U bolts for torque.

rustystud

. I don't reuse U bolts as they can be had pretty cheap for what they do. After you get it finished up put some miles on it and double check the U bolts for torque.[/QUOTE]

That is good advice for all of us. I was taught to "never" reuse 'U' bolts as they get stretched (like all bolts) when torqued. Since they hold your axle in place that is not an item you want failing ! You can live with a head gasket leaking if you reuse your head bolts, but you can DIE with your 'U' bolts breaking !