• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobed truck, will 16.00 20's fit

sermis

What needs to be done for the 16.00 20's to fit on a bobbed truck. Just rims? Cab Lift? Bed Lift?
Or would it be eaiser to go with 14.00 or 395 X 20's.

sermis

OK I know someone her has used the 16.00 20's. Will they fit wiht just rims or is a cab lift and more woek instore..................

breelanr

I found this pic of a 4x4 conversion with 1400-20s. No obvious suspension mods, but very little upward travel. Custom wheels. Hot rod duce (SS member) has lifted his Deuce and is running very large tires.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

Hello,

I was told by a the guy that built my bobbed deuce that 1600s won't fit.

I'm running 1400s and can't imagine why anyone would want to go any taller. At 2600 RPM 1400s produce 72 MPH and plenty of ground clearance. Believe me, when you're running 72 MPH in a bobbed deuce (deuce-bobb) it's like drivnig a 16 foot step ladder down the road.

Here are some pictures of Big-Red with 1400s: www.M35MonsterTruck.com

I personally think 1400s are too tall for the LDT engine with stock injection pump settings and even with a pyro and boost gauge I refuse to hike the pump.

I'm installing a set of new Goodyear 395X85R 20s. They are 4 inches shorter and hopefully will give a better power curve. 65 MPH 395sl require 2485 RPM and at 55 MPH they run in a 2100 RPM sweet spot.

I also think the 395 Goodyears are less apt to hydro-plane. Deuce-Bobbs are short, tall and scary on wet or icy roads at high speeds --- be careful.

sermis

I have some 10 hole combat 10 X 20 rims I was planning on traiding for some 16.00 20's. Keeping my cost down. I would like to run the 14.00 or 395's but cash is tight.

hot rod deuce

Hey, i kinda missed it again!

They will FIT with out a lift, however you probably wont have much movement. 3 inches will do it. I ran just 3 inches of suspension lift to start. then i added 3 inches of box lift so the rear would work all the way. Next when i did the motor swap i added 3 inches of cab lift. I think it takes 6 inches to get the proportions right. just my opinion. (see avitar) I think you might need some suspension in order for the tires to clear the spring hanges and allow you to turn all the way. Body lift is easy though.

As far as too much gear, I run granny to get going most of the time and skip OD. Where as stock you can start in 2nd (one up from granny) but turn around and run OD. Then when you wana really get her goin' slide her up in to OD and hang on! I did however turn up the multi-fuel as far as i could. The cummins dont really mind,up hill, down hill, head wind tail wind it will run to the governer (2300 for now)

I would agree its like driving a ladder down the road, at 75! only a six wheeler is like a 20 foot extention ladder that wiggles in the middle!

Bring the GPS, the stock speedo bails out at 65!

jatonka

The picture of the 4x4 Deuce in this thread is my truck, the first one we built, the one that made everyone want one of their own, right Sasquatch? For a fact, 14.00R 20's are as big as you can run if you don't do serious suspension changes and a stock M35A2 power pack does not make enough torque to turn any bigger wheel/tire combination. AND, the taller the tire, the greaterthe moment against the brake drums and shoes when stopping. These modified trucks are already short 2 sets of brakes, I plan ahead when driving my Jatonka XM35A4. I will run 395/80R 20's on the truck we are building this fall. It will use a commercial diesel with auto transmission for the emergency service people. John Tennis

hot rod deuce

Oh I dont know, I think the stock steering will get you by with 16's so long as you dont go loading the thing down, I ran around for a year with 16's and stock steering. I never put much in the box though. Its kinda all what you plan to do with it.

Hey jatonka what do you plan to use for a motor/trans?

hot rod deuce

I asume, DT 466? maybe a 643 allison? The reason I ask is because I am lookin for a 6 speed OD allioson with lock up. Maybe you have some experiance. I have an At 543, Mt540, 643 and a big Ol' CLBT-750 but none seem to fit the bill, a whole lot of nothing you might say!

The problem I run it to is that all 6 speed OD lock ups are electro maybe you know of a mech?

SasquatchSanta

I bought John's (Jatonka's) second truck (www.M35MonsterTruck.com) and I concur with his comments about 1600s being too much for a stock deuce. My truck came with 1400s and I just recently changed to 395s. I personally like the smaller 395s better than the 1400s.

It remains to be seen whether I made a mistake fuel economy wise by going with the smaller 395s. Mathmatically, the power band is better with the 1400s but the 395s give a lot more noticable "skoot" with a lot less pedal.

John --- can't wait to see your next creation

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks