• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolts

M37-1952

I started to take the fenders and bed off for painting and it got me to wondering, where do you buy the odd-headed 3/8-24 fender bolts? Also , what grade are they? Who has the best and complete carb kit?

Mark
1952 M-37

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are NF bolts. I was mostly able to re-use most of mine. The funny lock washers are sometimes a problem. I try to clean them first, before I try to remove them. I know, sometimes, that is not possible. I use never sieze, when they go back!

The military had a re build kit. Try the vendors that deal in M37 stuff. It had everything. I want to modify the main jet with a little smaller hole in it. It still runs too rich on our present day gasoline. The engine is getting broken in now - about 800 miles on it- all new stuff - .040 on the pistons, and lots of machine work. Maybe a mixture that has a lot of ethonal in it would be better. I have a therory: Our modern day gas takes more air to burn it clean, then the stuff they were making 50 years ago.

Lee in Alaska

zak

Mark if your talking about the phillips head screws in the bed, midwest military stocks them. I found a stainless steel version at: http://www.mrgusa.com/pdfs/144-145truss.pdf. Its part # fa2628h. After fighting every rusted bolt and nut, I replaced what I could with stainless. The square lock washers are out there, but pricey. Save what you can. The hex headed bolts with the recessed head show up on ebay every so often or try Mcmaster-Carr.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bolts

rosco said:
They are NF bolts. I was mostly able to re-use most of mine. The funny lock washers are sometimes a problem....
Lee in Alaska
The internal/external lock washers serves the purpose of joining the metal parts of the truck for a continous electrical ground circuit, if the original ones lose their "bite", they won't serve this purpose well, I'd replace them with new heat treated ones....

CGarbee

RE: Re: RE: Bolts

Tom at Snake River 4x4 stocks the square washers and has the best prices on them last time that I checked... John Bizal also has them in stock...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Bolts

Uhh....that's a lot of bolts!

Can't help you with all of them, but I'm sure your local hardware store has a lot of them. I replace all the heavy duty bolts with Grade 8, and all the light duty bolts with Stainless, since I don't ever want to deal with frozen bolts and nuts again!

bubba_got_you

Re: RE: Re: RE: Bolts

maddawg308 said:
Uhh....that's a lot of bolts!

Can't help you with all of them, but I'm sure your local hardware store has a lot of them. I replace all the heavy duty bolts with Grade 8, and all the light duty bolts with Stainless, since I don't ever want to deal with frozen bolts and nuts again!
Not really all of them but there is a good number that I will be replacing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks