• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

boxing the frame

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever boxed the frame of their MV for more strength offroad? I doubt someone would do it with a deuce, but M1008s, M880s, jeeps, perhaps....

Sorta on topic question: I was told welding on a frame is a bad thing. Please explain why boxing the frame then would be stronger, and not weaker.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to think that boxing a frame on a off-road vehicle would be a bad idea. You need lots of flex off-road and IMO boxing a frame would make it too rigid.

A box design is always stronger than a "C" and dosen't want to twist near as much.

Yes, almost everything you read tells you not to weld on the frame. That being said, it's done everyday on heavy trucks with no ill effects. I have personally lengthed and shortened several trucks that haul 80,000lb+. You won't have any problem if it's done right.

shannondeese

I've boxed a bunch of frames on off road rigs I've built out of Ford and Chevys. Haven't done it on a dodge yet though. I box the frame to make it more rigid especialy around the suspension mounts. I want the suspension to cycle not the body. The more frame movement the shorter life span the body mounts have. I've gone on too many rides and seen a 70's or 80's Chevy body mount in the corner of the cab crack and break causing the cab to lean. By boxing the frame you are making the suspension work. Yes you now have less flex but your vehicle will last longer.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shannon Deese You are right on the money Had to do it my 84 M1008 Puller It would pull out the bed bolts And twist almost in to two I would have 3 tires on the ground left front 3 ft off the ground.
after 3 frames we box her in and had no more problems at all.
Power by 540cid Chevy BDS blower Bosh Fuel injection !!!!! to much to list.
sold in 2007 to another Truck puller and still pulling to day.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a deuce (although I guess he did mention smaller vehicles ;)).

I still think it would be a bad idea on something as large as a deuce (a bob maybe). I'm just going by my experience on large trucks. If you make the frame too rigid on large trucks things start to stress crack and break. Mainly due to the length of the frame and the larger loads they carry. That's why all the heavy truck manufactuers double frame trucks to make the frame stronger instead of doing things like boxing. A double frame lets one frame move a little inside the other one so there still is some flex and is not too rigid.

rnd-motorsports

okay now mount a body on that frame and keep the body mounts from ripping out flexing like that. and the keep the frame from cracking over time with that much flex. [thumbzup] Looks cool for the pic!

SixSpeed

Banned
Know much about Unimogs? Mercedes-Benz designed the Unimogs with flexible frames. They are beautifully designed to account for flex, front motor mount pivots as well as the cab & bed (or box). Things like the transmission & engine are mounted carefully as to avoid being flexed. It is a VERY trick setup, its a wonder it all works.

Here is an example of a newer Unimog built with the same design. Note the extreme angle of the bed relative to the cab.

It makes it a real pain to put on a custom roll cage or bed/box. It all has to flex and pivot...apparently. :smile:

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Does it matter? Is there a real question here or are we just starting a "taste great, less filling" debate? Everyone has a opinion on something.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 819 is double and triple frame, cant get more stoughter then that and that is supposed to be made for off road work

jamesfrom180

Someone piped up and mentioned boxing frames in the areas where high stress is seen. Like everything design should meet function. Personally I would box frames for added rigidity. As for designing a frame to act with a suspension like a Mog... I don't see many people doing that. You don't have to box a frame to add rigidity look at ladder frames. These could be done to a deuce and not require welding. The debate over welding or not welding frames comes down to the material of the actual frame. I've read the articles here about it and there are some pretty knowledgeable people that know more than I, but all the conclusions I've drawn come down to application. Deuce is at the top of capability for weight limit anyway. If you want more get a 5 ton. So its kinda moot point to box a deuce frame. Bobbing one would require a few lateral braces and that is my two cents. :driver:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I believe the 108 is a partial double frame and a m60 had a partial double and triple frame

Unforgiven

The Deuce frame is weldable. But try explaining that to a DMV inspector. It would be better to use bolts or rivets. The 5 ton is tempered & requires special welding techniques.

jesusgatos

I only box the frame on vehicles like this where I can add an extensive rollcage to REALLY stiffen the chassis. It's kind of an all-or-nothing sort of thing as far as I'm concerned though. One thing you definitely don't want to do is box any portion of a frame in any way that might lead to stress-risers. That's a really common problem with (poorly built) off-road trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks