• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake ADjustment?

rmgill

So, I know my Deuce will lock it's brakes. I was trucking down the street and decided that the now yellow light meant I needed to stop. So, I got on the brakes, hard. I must have hit the pedal like I do in the ferret (grab the wheel and lean back) because It really stopped. Sent my notebook computer onto the floor. :shock: . It was ok, Apple makes a good powerbook. But, crawling around the truck to install the wiring got me thinking about the two nuts for adjusting the brakes on the brake backing plates.

Which direction do you turn the nuts and how do you know what point you need to back off from the "stop" point when that shoe has made contact with the drum? On my Ferret and Dingo, it's trivial to jack a side up and turn that side's wheels to make sure it's not dragging but just off of the stopping point.

Is it the same on the Deuce? ie Jack a wheel up, turn the adjusters, back off and spin the wheel to see if it's set right?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, thats pretty much it for minor adjustments. There's an adjusting bolt for each shoe though. There is also an adjuster on the bottom but these are usually changed when re-shoeing the truck. The upper adjusting bolts you referred to turn a little eccentric thing. Can't think of an easier way to explain this. On the drivers side the bolts towards the front of the backing plate turn clockwise as do the rear ones on the right side. The rear ones on the left side and front ones on the right side turn counter clockwise. Probably an easier way to word this but I can't think of it.

rmgill

The adjuster bolts are exactly like the ones on my Dingo. I was just unsure of direction to turn them. The ferret as two bolts one on top of another (one has a shaft inside the other) for adjusting the front and rear shoes.

thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks