• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Booster Work-around

8dogsbarking

I'm always working on keeping my M880 on the road, brake boosters have been quite the problem... because manufacturers don't have them any more! Well... I am sure many of you have figured this out, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have a 1977 M880 and my booster died. I ordered a power brake booster for a 1985 W250 with a 4500 lb axle from Rock Auto (Cardone 5473360). I also ordered the master cylinder for the same 1985 model (Dorman M39712).
The problem people have is with the connection to the brake pedal. A bolt attachment versus a mounting stud. My solution was to take a step bit and drill the booster rod out to the size of the bolt. I have had it in for a month now and you would never know the difference! I also had to make a minor adjustment to the brake light switch, but that was easy since I was already under the dashboard! I am sure that has been discussed before, but I wanted to put this out there in case it helps anyone.
IMG_2409.JPGIMG_2409.JPGIMG_2411.JPG

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of parts trucks but only one good spare booster left .. I have been concerned as to what to do when/if the M880 or M890 uses up that spare booster and thus someday being stuck being told "NLA". .. Thanks for your info !!!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had M880's for 20 years, several of them. Have not had an issue with a booster yet.
This post is good info if it does happen to me. While I have several parts trucks to pick from, I tend to prefer new over 46 year old brake parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks