• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake cylinder damage

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I took off the front hubs to check their condition, also trying to see if there was a reason for asymmetric braking. Took some time before I had a closer look at the brake cylinders, had some other things to do, like taking grandkids to the netherlands and then taking care of them while their parents are working because school closed here (touch wood, no coronavirus near yet, just containment).

So taking of the brake shoes, some liquid came out of the front outer seal. The back outer seal was dry and nice.

IMG_8717_resize.JPG
This is how the rear piston looks from the outside.

IMG_8719_resize.JPG
This is the front side piston: not good

IMG_8720c_resize.JPG

These are the front (left) and rear (right) pistons.

The inside of the cylinder looked very dirty. I cleaned it and even honed it a bit. Turns out that the middle third of the brake cylinder "floor" actually is cratered. Better said, the area between the ends of both pistons (or the seals) is rusted in over an arc about 1/2 inch. The position of the front seal actually has rusted into a very shallow grove. I though first it was clinging dirt, but then felt that actually it goes below the smooth surface of the cylinder. You can feel it with your nail; it feels like trying to get under the end of a role of tape.

At least for the moment, just cleaning everything and installing the new seals would give me some brakes without leakage or would this leak immediately?

I need to get this truck moving for now, not to drive on the road but to do small things around the workshop and have it moveable. Unfortunately, with the Coronavirus here, I cannot get a replacement brake cylinder here on short notice.

Any idea on how to clean the front piston?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks