• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Drum Removal on M809 series 5 ton????

I'm in the process of adjusting the brakes on my M812 and ran into a problem on my first wheel. I'm currently working on the drivers steer tire. I'm going by the manual for adjustment procedure and everything is going well until I get to the adjustment bolt on the upper left side/the bolt closet to the driver (if you are under the truck looking outwards toward the wheel) The other bolt up top worked great with a slight turn as did the two bottom adjustment screws. The issue is the bolt on the top is just turning but not engaging the shoe outwards. I would like to take the brake drum off to see what is going on inside. I removed all the bolts that hold the drum on and tried beating on it with a hammer and heavy punch through the small access slots provided on the dust cover with no success. So...... What tips do you guys have to remove the drum? Being a bridge truck these could be the original drums with only 13k miles. Do I need to purchase a puller?
Thanks,
Andy

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i had to pull some rear drums on the 819, i had to use a 4 pound hammer and tap HARD outward all the way around for a bit to get them to come off, do not hit on the edge , hit on the drum itself at a angle outward

m139h2otruck

Have taken the four rears off the water truck and both fronts and one rear off the tractor. No problems with any of them sliding right off with the hub. Maybe the adjuster jumped over (cam over?) and is hanging the shoe up.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
both of mine that i took off i had to fight, the shoes were backed off, you could move the drum and axle a bit, it was just rust between the drum and the hub

supermechanic

When I did a wheel cylinder on my m51, the drum was stuck so hard that the only way I got it free was to set up blocking underneath the drum, and let the truck down on the drum.
The full weight of the truck broke whatever kind of corrosion that was holding it tight.

dma251

I had a puller made when I did mine, and it was definitely handy. Som eof mine came right off by hand, but some of then took quite a bit of coaxing with the puller to get off.

They are very easy to make.

thanks

The brakes are backed off. I thought about putting the weight of the truck on the brake drum but didn't know if that was a good idea. Since I see that supermechanic used this technique with success I'll give it a shot. I hope the other brake shoes work as they should for adjustment so I don't have to remove the drum for the other 5 tires! Thanks,
Andy

emr

RE: thanks

I understand a MAJOR adjustment is what U need when u put em back on, dont quote me, but its like 20 thousands on the top and 10 thousands on the bottom or do i have it backwards, anyway, i think every 3000 miles U should do a minor adjustment meaning only doing the bottom. anybody know the TM here, Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks