• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid shooting out of remote reservoir?

V8srfun

If you came back to the truck and had a soft pedal that firmed up after pumping the brakes there is air in the system. Yes a shoe adjustment is wise but probably not your problem. The fluid rushing back is probably the compressed air in the system expanding and the fluid has no other place to go but the reservoir.

banditt1979

If you came back to the truck and had a soft pedal that firmed up after pumping the brakes there is air in the system. Yes a shoe adjustment is wise but probably not your problem. The fluid rushing back is probably the compressed air in the system expanding and the fluid has no other place to go but the reservoir.
But it only does it when there is air pressure in the system. And right now the pedal is firm. It sat for a few months and when I checked it last week is when I discovered the pedal going almost to the floor.
I'll try bleeding them again after I do the major brake adjustment to eliminate that possibility.

banditt1979

This afternoon I crawled underneath the truck and took the skid plate off of the air pack. Opened the vent air line, no fluid. Then noticed the master cylinder was damp at the front where it bolts on. Pulled back the boot and some fluid came out. Guess the front seal is leaking so I'm going to replace it with another unit I bought a few months ago. Don't know if it will solve the original problem but can't have a leak either. And I rebuilt it just a few months ago :mad:

banditt1979

When I adjust my brakes, I just do 15 thousands gap top and bottom. TM calls for 20 top and 10 bottom. Lmk if you need a hand with this.

Still got my number?
Thank you Chris, appreciate the offer and will definitely get in touch with you if I need help. I still have your number, thought I lost it when my phone went swimming with me over the summer lol

banditt1979

Well finally got some time with this nice weather to start adjusting brakes. Front ones and both rear left. Fronts were off a little and one of the rears. Hope to get at the passenger side rears tomorrow. I did fire it up, drained the tanks and pumped the brakes. Still have a firm half pedal but no fluid bursting out of the reservoir. Guessing there was something going on with my rebuilt mc. It did have an issue this past summer where a piece came apart inside and I reused the old part, some kind of metal valve. So it appears the new mc fixed my initial issue!

banditt1979

What type of wrench do you guys use to get at the front lower 1 1/8" nuts to loosen the adjuster? Couldn't get a socket on there and had to wing it with a crescent wrench. I'd like to buy the correct wrench to make sure they are completely tight, was thinking offset box wrench?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks