• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light not working one side

scottofazphx

I have a m1165 I have been restoring and have a weird issue. The driver side break light does not work. You would think its a bulb, so easy enough repair but here is the issue. The old busted up light didn't work so I order a set of incandescent ones and an LED set for after the rebuild is done. I install the incandescent and it won't light. I switch with the passenger side and it still wont light. I test the bulb and it is good. Fixture socket has 24 volts when brake pedal is engaged. Switched to led thinking maybe its the fixture and the way it build...nope still no light.

So, I bust out the multimeter and test the incoming wires. When brake pedal is engaged wire 22 has 24 volts when tested with fixture ground. When disengaged the voltage drops to zero.

So next I jumped the fixture completely and connected the bulb with jumper wires to wire 22 and ground when I know it has 24 volts and still won't light.

Any ideas? Possible to have volts but no amps? how would I even track down where to look when the other light is working?

To further clarify, the side marker and tail lights, and BO lights all work at this location sharing the same ground so cant be a ground at fixture issue!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a m1165 I have been restoring and have a weird issue. The driver side break light does not work. You would think its a bulb, so easy enough repair but here is the issue. The old busted up light didn't work so I order a set of incandescent ones and an LED set for after the rebuild is done. I install the incandescent and it won't light. I switch with the passenger side and it still wont light. I test the bulb and it is good. Fixture socket has 24 volts when brake pedal is engaged. Switched to led thinking maybe its the fixture and the way it build...nope still no light.

So, I bust out the multimeter and test the incoming wires. When brake pedal is engaged wire 22 has 24 volts when tested with fixture ground. When disengaged the voltage drops to zero.

So next I jumped the fixture completely and connected the bulb with jumper wires to wire 22 and ground when I know it has 24 volts and still won't light.

Any ideas? Possible to have volts but no amps? how would I even track down where to look when the other light is working?

To further clarify, the side marker and tail lights, and BO lights all work at this location sharing the same ground so cant be a ground at fixture issue!
Have you by chance checked the ground for the lights?
Lighting on the HMMWV is grounded through the wiring harness.

Where did you put your test leads for Ground?

scottofazphx

Have you by chance checked the ground for the lights?
Lighting on the HMMWV is grounded through the wiring harness.

Where did you put your test leads for Ground?

Yes, I tested the ground through the harness at the light. Also the other lights like turn signal and marker light is using same ground and is working at the corner. Im guessing its a connection someplace that is allowing volts but no current through. Guess ill have to start in the rear and work forward inspecting the wire.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the wire 22 (I think that should be 22-461) have 24V measured when the light is attached (must pierce wire with test lead)?
If so it is a ground or an issue in the light fixture, and yes you can have a ground issue and the tail light still work as it can seek ground through the other (heavier) light filaments.

scottofazphx

Does the wire 22 (I think that should be 22-461) have 24V measured when the light is attached (must pierce wire with test lead)?
If so it is a ground or an issue in the light fixture, and yes you can have a ground issue and the tail light still work as it can seek ground through the other (heavier) light filaments.
Ill give that a test later today, thanks for the idea! Yes i meant 22-461, good catch ;-)

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 threaded holes on the back of the light with a flat bar between them and the ground wire under one of the bolts. If I remember correctly the mounting bar (as its called in he manual ) is what supplies ground to both bolts. do you have the mounting bar in place?

scottofazphx

There are 2 threaded holes on the back of the light with a flat bar between them and the ground wire under one of the bolts. If I remember correctly the mounting bar (as its called in he manual ) is what supplies ground to both bolts. do you have the mounting bar in place?
mounting bar is not in place but i have tried with jumper between the two bolds and if i open up the fixture (remove lens) i can see its internally jumped. Both studs go to same internal ground plate. Plus other side also does not have plate and is working as it should. But thank you for the idea, any ideas is better than what i have lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks